The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Sudden Aggression (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/sudden-aggression-114238/)

EmilyRosie 02-24-2012 06:28 PM

Sudden Aggression

Hello,
So my pony Rosie has always had a bit of spunk, but about 15 minutes ago, really became extremely aggressive. I went outside to check on her because she gets cold easy and it is cold and rainy today. She was shivering and walked right over to me and let me scratch her as normal. I put her halter on and brought her in her stall to towel dry, blanket and then release. Unexpectedly, when I went to towel dry her she turned her butt at me (I got out of the way) and kicked out. She has also tried biting me (not nibbling, but a full on aggressive bite). This horse does NOT act aggressively. I have been doing more work with her lately, but she is just not an aggressive horse. I gave her hay and left her in her stall and she is pawing, and making a nickering noise every time I leave her stall, but I have a puppy inside and I had to come back inside. I have her in her stall right now. Sometimes as she is eating she makes a grunting sound and whips her head up. I'm very concerned. Any suggestions? The shivering has stopped by the way.
Thanks.

Nitefeatherz 02-26-2012 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmilyRosie (Post 1377059)
Hello,
She has also tried biting me (not nibbling, but a full on aggressive bite). This horse does NOT act aggressively.

I am confused...has she tried biting you in the past? If so- that is aggressive behavior- or are you saying she tried biting you just now when you brought her in and that is the first biting and kicking incident you've had with her?

EmilyRosie 02-26-2012 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitefeatherz (Post 1378933)
I am confused...has she tried biting you in the past? If so- that is aggressive behavior- or are you saying she tried biting you just now when you brought her in and that is the first biting and kicking incident you've had with her?

She pushes her limits and tests, but never runs at me with her teeth ready to bite. This is the first bad incident I've had with her.

December 02-26-2012 02:24 AM

I'm not entirely sure why she might have done that is seems odd...uhm did you touch her at all once she was in her stall maybe since you've been working with her alot more shes sore...but the way you describe her acting in the stall makes me think shes a bit anxious, skiddish and nervous...maybe something spooked her? but that wouldn't necessarily explain the sudden aggression I'm sorry I couldn't have been more of a help those are just some ideas, but if your very worried that something might be wrong I would call a vet (Can never be too safe =])

loosie 02-26-2012 03:16 AM

She's in pain, she's in season & feeling crabby & perhaps in pain, you've never pushed her boundaries until recently & she's telling you where to get off. They're some possibilities. Of course, you'll want to rule out/treat the possible pain first & foremost.

natisha 02-26-2012 04:00 PM

If she was so cold that her temperature became less than normal it could have changed her mentation. It does with people. See how she is when she's warmed up again.

Palomine 02-26-2012 04:28 PM

If she is always testing you, that is because you are not firmly established as leader here.

Otherwise there would be no testing/trying, your very body language would tell her it was a no go.

The shivering, could be due to wind, as could attitude. Could also be she hears wind moving an unstable tree? Or something that you might not have noticed.

But the behaviors must not be allowed, more consistent handling, and if you are babier or heavy praiser or sweet talker, quit it. Horses don't respond well to that.

But if she is always testing? Then this is not sudden aggression as much as natural progression to her attitude over other things. This time, she just decided to up the ante, and call your bluff.

spirit88 02-26-2012 04:39 PM

Sounds like a leardership problem to me in heat or not in pain or not doesnt give them the right to lash out with teeth and hind feet. Simple fact is she has no respect for you i own a mare who gets crampy when in heat. She wouldnt dare try to bite or kick me but then again iam the herd boss of us two. Theres nothing wrong other then you arent her herd leader and she knows it. So you need to brush up on how to be a leader or your going to get hurt.

Joe4d 02-26-2012 05:52 PM

has she had a rabies shot? I thought this was normal, but recently found out that since you cant mail order rabies like you do the others lots of horses dont get them.

tinyliny 02-26-2012 06:44 PM

That sounds like a reaction to physical causes, not so much a behavior issue due to lack of leadership. That sort of problem usually creeps on little by little, not an abrupt change. It could be her season, but this cannto be the first time she's been in season since you have had her, no?