The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   Joining Up In a Grassy Roundpen? Is It OK? (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/joining-up-grassy-roundpen-ok-114251/)

go go girl 02-24-2012 09:04 PM

Joining Up In a Grassy Roundpen? Is It OK?

I would like to join up with my horse. The only roundpen we have is full of grass. I want to know roughly if he will get distracted by the grass or if he will chose the grass over me. I'm worried that when he finally gives in, he will stop and start grazing and forget that I'm trying to get him to do something. I would like all of your opinions on if the grassy roundpen will be adequit or if I should forget about joining up. Thank you for your opinions!

yadlim 02-24-2012 09:39 PM

It might take a bit more work, but join up is all about his attention being ON you. If he distracts, you didn't have it to begin with, so keep going.

DrumRunner 02-24-2012 10:10 PM

Why not get a rake and a little bit of hard work to remove the grass from the round pen? That way there isn't a chance of the distraction and that takes away the possibility of your horse slipping on the grass and maybe getting hurt..

go go girl 02-25-2012 09:45 AM

I dont think a rake would take out the grass, it never had sand in it, so it is basically as grassy as his pasture (if not more)

Joe4d 02-25-2012 11:27 AM

got a bic lighter ?

Fellpony 02-25-2012 01:49 PM

We use our grass round pen for join up. I just get the shetland to eat the grass down and keep it trim. Its worked for out lot.

loosie 02-25-2012 08:07 PM

While I don't tend to agree with round penning the way most seem to do it, agree with Yadlim - you either got it or you don't. If there are no distractions, the only 'good' place is beside the handler, then whoop-de-do about 'joining up' IMO - no big deal, doesn't prove anything.

Getting your horse to *want* to be with you in the face of distractions & when not trapped in a small yard & effectively given no choice, teach you to be more effective & *truly* learn how to 'join up'.

...& Joe, should we direct the authorities to you next time we hear of any wild fires in your neck of the woods??:-P:lol: