The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Reining (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/)
-   -   Trimming hooves for reining! HELP! (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/trimming-hooves-reining-help-114263/)

Ally56 02-24-2012 09:42 PM

Trimming hooves for reining! HELP!
 
I want to use my mare for 4H, and have been working wih her on reining. She has the slides down pretty well, but my farrier says that she will slide better if he trims her hooves for reining. I am fine with doing this, but how will she do in other classes wih these shoes? I do everything except driving, and I'm especially worried with jumping. He told me she would slide excellent with the trim AND reining shoes, but I'm really scares that she will slide too much setting up for the barrel, or slide going into a jump. Any opinions on this? I don't know much about hoof trimming, so any advise is helpful! Thanks!

sierrams1123 02-24-2012 09:49 PM

I will come back to this.....I do not do reinging but I will speak with my farrier who shoes for lots of pro reiners and get his input with this.

Ally56 02-24-2012 09:52 PM

Okay, thanks!

CLaPorte432 02-24-2012 10:04 PM

IMO, I would not trim her for reining if your going to be participating in other events. Putting sliders on the back feet isn't the greatest thing if your going to be jumping, and it could really hurt a horse's confidence. A walk, trot, canter etc, you probably won't notice a difference.

But, it's 4-H. It's not the NRHA. Sure you want to do great but I don't see the point for 4-H or local shows. Personally, I don't think the judges are going to care how long her slide is.

I wouldn't do it. I never saw anyone in 4-H with sliders on, nor do I see any at local shows I attend.

Ally56 02-24-2012 10:08 PM

Okay, thank you! I guess I probably won't then. Thanks for the advise!

smrobs 02-24-2012 10:16 PM

Agreed, I wouldn't put sliders on her either, especially if you are doing barrels too. That's pretty much a guarantee for her to fall with you going around a barrel.

At lower level shows like what 4-H is, the length of the slide won't matter at all. So long as she is stopping hard, on her hind end, and staying round, then you'll be better off than most the other competitors.

sierrams1123 02-24-2012 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLaPorte432 (Post 1377377)
IMO, I would not trim her for reining if your going to be participating in other events. Putting sliders on the back feet isn't the greatest thing if your going to be jumping, and it could really hurt a horse's confidence. A walk, trot, canter etc, you probably won't notice a difference.

But, it's 4-H. It's not the NRHA. Sure you want to do great but I don't see the point for 4-H or local shows. Personally, I don't think the judges are going to care how long her slide is.

I wouldn't do it. I never saw anyone in 4-H with sliders on, nor do I see any at local shows I attend.


I also agree with this, but before I said it would or might effect anything else you do with your horse I wanted to ask my farrier.

I feel if she is bare foot now leave her bare foot.

I do not know how it is in your area but at our 4H shows the judges do not place the people that look like pro's....not that they dislike them but our 4H is mostly for the people that can not afford the big stuff......like in Pleasure they always say they aren't looking for the "peanut rollers" --> IDK if this is a term used every where.

So I would say leave her be and let her do what she can naturally.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 1377391)
I wouldn't put sliders on her either, especially if you are doing barrels too. That's pretty much a guarantee for her to fall with you going around a barrel.

I know reiners that barrel race their reinging horses that have sliders on that have no nor have had any issues with them while running.

CLaPorte432 02-24-2012 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sierrams1123 (Post 1377395)
I also agree with this, but before I said it would or might effect anything else you do with your horse I wanted to ask my farrier.

I feel if she is bare foot now leave her bare foot.

I do not know how it is in your area but at our 4H shows the judges do not place the people that look like pro's....not that they dislike them but our 4H is mostly for the people that can not afford the big stuff......like in Pleasure they always say they aren't looking for the "peanut rollers" --> IDK if this is a term used every where.

So I would say leave her be and let her do what she can naturally.



I know reiners that barrel race their reinging horses that have sliders on that have no nor have had any issues with them while running.

That's the way our 4-H is run too. There are people with $30,000 pleasure horses that spend 10 months with a trainer, and not the kid. It's actually kind of disgusting. It's 4-H! Not AQHA/APHA World Show and Congress! :evil:

That's actually the reason I stopped showing pleasure, I didn't have an expensive enough horse for my area to compete. But in speed events, the clock doesn't lie. ;-)

franknbeans 02-24-2012 10:30 PM

I currently have a reiner-with sliders. He is currently at the trainers, that is the ONLY reason he has his sliders on. I would not even turn him out in a pasture with them on. JMHO. When he comes home this summer-the sliders come off. I want to do other things, and unless you have a good sliding surface, you are very apt to injure your horse. As much as they are trying to make it out to be a sport that "anon" can do-I am finding-not so much. For 4-H-absolutely no sliders. Perhaps what your farrier was talking about was rolling the toe just slightly so they don't catch and allow the hoof itself to slide a little.

Ally56 02-24-2012 10:53 PM

He was talking about rolling the toe, slanting the hoof a bit, and sliders. I had not planned on putting sliders on, but wanted to ask and be sure. Trimming the hoof was what I really wanted to know. Is slanting the toe okay for jumping? I ALWAYS put shoes on the fronts started in the spring, but I rarely ever put shoes on the back (only if I know for sure we are going to be riding on lots of rock or something)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0