The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Do you know what brand of western saddle this is??? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/do-you-know-what-brand-western-114271/)

sckamper 02-24-2012 11:22 PM

Do you know what brand of western saddle this is???

1 Attachment(s)
I bought this saddle about 8 years ago from a slightly sketchy guy out in the boonies of SC....has anyone seen this mark before? It's the only mark on the saddle (standard looking pleasure saddle). I have looked high and low on the internet, but have not found anything similar. The only "B" brands I know of are Big horn, Billy Cook, Blue Ribbon, Bobs(I wish), and Buffalo. I don't think it's any of those... any ideas would be appreciated

Attachment 89604

BTW I'm new to this forum...so hello:)

sierrams1123 02-25-2012 03:08 AM

looks like something someone stamped them selves.

is there any kind of identification markings anywhere else?

sckamper 02-25-2012 10:36 AM

Nope, I have looked everywhere.... It wasn't really an issue before, but my little filly is growing up and filling out, so the saddle no longer fits and it needs to be sold. I was just hoping to find out who made the saddle. Thank you for your input:)

sierrams1123 02-25-2012 09:59 PM

your welcome.....i would recommend looking for a local tack shop that may be willing to trade you for this saddle and maybe a little cash.....i know of a few places around her that do that kind of thing.

loveduffy 02-25-2012 10:26 PM

welcome to the forum - I have not see that brand any were I ride western it could be and off brand If you have a tack store they may be able to look up that saddle In they book other wise trade it in for one that fits

iridehorses 02-27-2012 06:39 AM

Welcome to the forum! - I'm from the Greenville area too.

Could very well be an off brand or a one off custom made. If the leather is a good quality and the tree is a good one, then you may have a good find. Can you show a pic of the whole saddle and what type of tree it is?

Saddlebag 02-27-2012 09:50 AM

A custom saddle will definitely carry the maker's stamp. The B is identical to one of my stamping tools, not a custom stamp. Can you post a pic of the entire saddle, including one of the underside? The concha appears to be Montana silver, which isn't silver.

sckamper 02-27-2012 11:10 PM

I'll try to post a picture of the whole saddle soon. I know the silver is cheap and I'm pretty sure it's a fiberglass tree. as far as the leather goes... It's medium thick and seems pretty decent to me, but I'm not quite sure how to judge it.

I really doubt that the saddle is anything special, paid $400 new, but I was 16 when I bought it and didn't pay attention to what the man told me (I was just excited to get a saddle!)...I'm positive he said some brand, but who knows if he was being truthful

If I try to sell it what am I supposed to say about it?
I guess it just bothers me that I can't put a brand name with it...makes it sound like junk, and I think it is a much better quality saddle than like a buffalo saddle.

Once again, thanks for all of the replies!

WesternBella 02-27-2012 11:14 PM

I'm pretty sure mine might be the same! It's an ostrich pink barrel saddle but it has absolutely no names and only cheap (fake) silver...I'll get a pic soon!
Posted via Mobile Device

iridehorses 02-28-2012 05:56 AM

I would advertise it as US made, (give the tree size and the seat size), the overall condition, and put a price of $400 OBO on it. There have been a lot of really cheap saddles in the Greenville Craigslist but the fact that yours is US made puts it above the Buffalo class. If the silver is Montana Silver, that isn't cheap - it isn't sterling but it isn't the painted tin crap.