The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   What just happened!? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/what-just-happened-114272/)

Tokoneki 02-25-2012 12:32 AM

What just happened!?

My mare is 20 years old. Has never been bred. She is boarded on a geldings/mares ONLY barn.

I went to a friend's place today to pick her up for a trail ride. Her stallion jumped 2 fences and broke into the stall where I was keeping her while I waited on my friend.

I got there as he dismounted....

*DRAMATIC MUSIC*

She wasn't even exhibiting signs of being in heat!? How did this happen? He had her pushed in a corner and my friend suggested he must have forced himself on her given the small space and my horse's demeanor (She is smaller and very very submissive.)

Afterwards, she was walking like she had to pee, tail up, legs out. Then I noticed her uh...."expel" fluid like mares do when in heat.

...is my mare knocked up!?

cmarie 02-25-2012 12:39 AM

it's possible.

Bridgertrot 02-25-2012 12:42 AM

Possibly. If you don't want the foal though it's early enough to where it can be taken care of.
Posted via Mobile Device

myhorsesonador 02-25-2012 12:48 AM

VET! NOW! She is way to old to have a baby, if she is bred she needs to be aborted ASAP!

Tokoneki 02-25-2012 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myhorsesonador (Post 1377525)
VET! NOW! She is way to old to have a baby, if she is bred she needs to be aborted ASAP!

Horse abortion...I can only imagine what that's gonna cost.

Shouldn't I be less concerned, though? Considering her age and the fact that she's never bred, isn't it nearly impossible for her to conceive/carry?

SunnyDraco 02-25-2012 01:24 AM

She isn't too old to have a baby, there are mares that are twenty or more when they have their first foal. It is a higher risk to both mare and foal, but it can and does happen. But, this is an unplanned breeding by a determined stallion and you probably don't want to risk your mare's health and life to be put in jeopardy so I would strongly suggest that you get a vet out to prevent an outcome from the "rape"

myhorsesonador 02-25-2012 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokoneki (Post 1377557)
Horse abortion...I can only imagine what that's gonna cost.

Shouldn't I be less concerned, though? Considering her age and the fact that she's never bred, isn't it nearly impossible for her to conceive/carry?

Do you care about money or your mare? It is very possible that she could be bred. I think it's only a shot, its not like with people. You have to have it done right now though, if you wait to long, it will be to lait. At her age, having never been bred, if she is in foal it could kill her.

Tokoneki 02-25-2012 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myhorsesonador (Post 1377561)
Do you care about money or your mare? It is very possible that she could be bred. I think it's only a shot, its not like with people. You have to have it done right now though, if you wait to long, it will be to lait. At her age, having never been bred, if she is in foal it could kill her.

I appreciate your advice and helpful opinions, which is what I wanted, and I know you're trying to help. But I think you're being a tad bit dramatic. I never said money was an issue. And considering it happened hours ago...it doesn't have to be "right now." It's not a terrible emergency and I will contact my vet on Monday.

I am well aware of the risks in involved and there are great arguments for and against maiden mares being bred in their 20's.

btw...it's "Late."

TheLastUnicorn 02-25-2012 01:36 AM

It is a shot... And according to vets, considered very safe for the mare. I do not believe it was outrageously expensive either, at least in my area.

myhorsesonador 02-25-2012 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokoneki (Post 1377569)
I appreciate your advice and helpful opinions, which is what I wanted, and I know you're trying to help. But I think you're being a tad bit dramatic. I never said money was an issue. And considering it happened hours ago...it doesn't have to be "right now." It's not a terrible emergency and I will contact my vet on Monday.

I am well aware of the risks in involved and there are great arguments for and against maiden mares being bred in their 20's.

btw...it's "Late."

It's not over dramatic. I've seen 3 horse die because they were bred to "LATE" (my spell check is out, no need to be a spelling nazi. Some people are bad at math, Ive always been bad at spelling.)

The sooner she gets the shot the beter. It would be best to have it done this week.

BTW you did say money was a problem when you said "Horse abortion...I can only imagine what that's gonna cost."