The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack Reviews (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-reviews/)
-   -   what saddle? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-reviews/what-saddle-114288/)

Tayz 02-25-2012 08:50 AM

what saddle?

I have an allpurpose wintec 2000 on my thoroughbred atm but i dont feel very secure in it and because hes only 6 and sometimes spooks and gets silly(not often but its happened 3 times in the 5 months ive owned him) and the fact im wanting to do some serious work with him with polebending barells and hopefully teampenning im looking for a good saddle thatll keep me in and fit my thoroughbred. I kinda want a western because ive always dreamt of having one lol, but then a stock saddle or a halfbreed i wouldnt mind either.
So whats your opinion? also what will fit a thoroughbred the best i've heard some westerns can be quite...unfitting for thoroughbreds. I live in Australia so our main horse shops are horseland and saddleworld but any suggestions at all? I really dont know what i should look for.

countercanter 02-25-2012 03:06 PM

Well what kind of saddle you get is going to be related to what you want to do. If you just want to trail ride and stuff a western saddle would be a great choice. But if you want to jump you should stick with an english saddle.

Tayz 02-26-2012 01:42 AM

I want to do polebending, western and teampenning and along the lines of those activities on him.

AztecBaby 02-26-2012 03:12 AM

Most older style Syd Hills are made for the old type of Aussie Stock Horses ( thoroughbred type) and would probably suit him.

countercanter 02-26-2012 10:32 AM

Then an english saddle is not for you. I know nothing about stock saddles but I'm sure you could find a western saddle that will fit him.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tayz 02-27-2012 12:02 AM

The english saddle is good, especially when I do pony club, and just some stuff on the ground...but yes, its not exactly suited for what I want.