The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Cut off big chunk of the hoof... :( (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/cut-off-big-chunk-hoof-11439/)

kitten_Val 07-14-2008 07:52 AM

Cut off big chunk of the hoof... :(

It happened in one day... She was fine day before, and next day I noticed the good chunk of the hind hoof just disappeared. Like it was cut off with the knife. :cry: And another piece was splitting too. So I ended up rasping that split away and smoothing (rounding the hoof) on my best (thank God I have farrier tools!). She doesn't look like having big discomfort, however my concern is the hoof side is missing almost up to the sole (went through white line).

So my question is: should I do something about it? Any protection to use? Anything to put on to grow it back faster? I'm using the pine tar (which suppose to give faster growth). Tried to find venice turpentine, but couldn't find it out around.

barefoothooves 07-14-2008 08:48 AM

Nothing you apply topically is really going to make the hoof grow faster, just like hair..good nutrition and exercise can improve circulation and that's pretty much it.

If she's not limping, don't worry about it. The part that was too long broke off, unfortunately higher than you would of liked. Wouldn't want to see it on a regular basis, but it's not the end of the world.No limping, no blood? No big deal this time. Horses that have nasty abscesses will break off huge chunks of wall sometimes and actually feel better once it's off.

Venice Turpentine is okay for painting the hard parts of the sole (never the frog!) as it's like a thin layer of varnish that will protect it temporarily until it's worn off, which is rather quick. Pine Tar will soften hoof, which could actually make it eaiser to break off, so personally, I'd just leave it alone.

Pretty much, if you are going to ride her in rough ground-large rocks, logs to step over, etc. a boot would offer some protection, but really for every day riding she's most likely fine.

If you are still worried, call your farrier or trimmer out to take a look and touch up the trim.

kitten_Val 07-14-2008 09:40 AM

Thanks, barefoothooves!

No, I don't ride her in park yet. Just s soft ring... The worst thing is she was just trimmed, so her hoofs were not long. Looks like she stepped on something sharp. Well... Anyway, I"ll just look how goes... :)

loosie 07-15-2008 02:29 AM

Re: Cut off big chunk of the hoof... :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_Val
hoof side is missing almost up to the sole

Pics would be good. I'm not sure I quite understand what you're saying. The wall *should* be almost to the sole, so if she was just trimmed & the walls were much longer, then it seems she may not have been trimmed very well.

kitten_Val 07-15-2008 07:45 AM

loosie, I'm talking about the side of the hoof (the hoof wall), not the bottom of the hoof. The chunk is going from bottom up to 1/3 of the hoof.

Appyt 07-15-2008 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_Val
loosie, I'm talking about the side of the hoof (the hoof wall), not the bottom of the hoof. The chunk is going from bottom up to 1/3 of the hoof.

For it to break off like that I would have to assume it was caused by flared hoof wall on that side. Not all trimmers do a good flare removal at ground level with a strong bevel. Without pics that would be my guess.