The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   New saddle: Does it fit HER and does it fit ME? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/new-saddle-does-fit-her-does-114407/)

poultrygirl 02-26-2012 03:39 PM

New saddle: Does it fit HER and does it fit ME?

Bought my first english saddle. Previously just used the instructors.
Super comfy on my ride this morning. But i put synthetic leathers i had from a saddle that was too small (like a 16..(i think a kid rode in it. my caboose definitely didnt fit in it anyways!) Anyways...I keep feeling like somethings wrong...like my stirrups are too short or something...and i have them on the last hole. with my fingertips on the stirrup bar, the irons are not quite in my armpit (My instructor taugt me to meausre this way, and that they should reach all the way to my armpit) maybe a couple inches shy.

So...from more experienced eyes...Does the saddle fit me? Or is it too small?

And even more importantly...does it fit her? I do have a half pad on her, so i know it makes it tough to tell, but Shes miss sensitive and i never want to risk making her sore.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47373513@N08/6932589597/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47373513@N08/6932597825/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47373513@N08/6932513025/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47373513@N08/6786374302/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47373513@N08/6786369518/

Sorry if the links dont work. Im trying to do this from my phone. Like herding cats.
Posted via Mobile Device

poultrygirl 02-26-2012 03:48 PM

Also...how bad/okay is my position? Opinions would be greatly appreciated!
Posted via Mobile Device

MoeMoe 02-26-2012 04:30 PM

It is impossible to tell whether or not the saddle fits the horse because you need to put the saddle on the horses back cinched up, and look at it like that, then get on it and evaluate again, this is the benefit of having a saddle fitter, but I understand that's expensive and not always an option, but if not, then do some wire measurements of your horses back and trace that onto cardboard and take that with you into the saddle shop and use that as a way to rule out the definite no's and the ones that are best. Also, the saddle is too small for you, or you need to lengthen your stirrups, in which case jumping might be hard. Now, don't go thinking that because the saddle is too small that you are too large, you just have long legs, which is awesome, so you need a saddle flap that caters to that.

Foxhunter 02-26-2012 04:30 PM

No one can possibly say from those pictures!
First off you have way to much padding under the saddle to see if it fits or not.
A well fitting saddle only needs a cotton cloth under it to keep it clean.

There are many places to see how to fit a saddle but you are best to get a qualified person to check it out.

You are riding way to short when your feet are in the stirrups.

poultrygirl 02-26-2012 04:53 PM

I knew something was up. They are officially kid leathers then.
I live in a really remote, podunk area where you cant even hardly find english tack on craigslist.
Theyre might be a local lady with a really warn 18" stubben siegfried, but according to the lady i use to ride with...im a 17.5.

I never have ridden in a stubben before and I had no clue how wonderfully, nice they are. If i have to get rid of this one just because im so flipping giant, imma cry. :'(

I will have to get some adult leathers on ebay. Not possible to get them here.
Does anyone think with the correct length leathers the saddle might fit me okay?

Im 5'8" and 140 pounds. she...is 14.3 once my stirrups are the right lenght...its anyones guess...but you figure my feet will be all the way under her barrel????????

ps...no sattle fitters, tack shops, for 100 miles. im lucky to come across someone here who even rides english.
Posted via Mobile Device

poultrygirl 02-26-2012 04:55 PM

i will go put it back on her, minus half pad, while she eats her dinner. more pics to come.

Thanks guys!
Posted via Mobile Device

blush 02-26-2012 07:10 PM

I can tell right away that the saddle you have is WAY too wide.
It looks like there is little to no wither clearance and that the front of the saddle is literally laying right on the horse's back. You need to have 3-4 finger width's of space between the front of the saddle and your horse's withers, it honestly looks to me that there is no space.

And it really doesn't help when there is a rider in the saddle either, your weight will push the saddle hard onto her back and cause a lot of pain. I suggest not riding in this saddle at all until you know for sure this saddle isn't too narrow or too wide (which it looks like to me). Either too narrow or too wide will cause incredible back pain for your horse.

Alsooooo, don't feel bad that the seat is too small! I was told I have a 17" seat...well in my Stubben I need an 18" seat because of my long femurs! Seat size really has little to do with how "big" your butt is, it's mostly there to accommodate your leg length. :) So really, since you have a longer femur like myself, you're gonna need a bigger seat to accommodate those long legs!

But my piece of advice...DO NOT ride in this saddle until you (and us) can see for sure if this saddle is neither too narrow or too wide. You will cause serious pain and discomfort to your horse if you ride in an ill fitted saddle...not worth the nightmare of corrective saddling!

farlo4 02-26-2012 08:00 PM

Saddle your mare and sit in the saddle. Then place your fingers underneith the saddle at the front where it sits around the withers. If you can fit your fingers and can't feel it pinching more in one area then another, you are probably ok. Do this to the back of the saddle, too. Also, like Blush said above, there needs to be room between your saddle and the horses withers. If the saddle sits on top of the withers (as in touching them) then it does NOT fit.
If all else fails and you totally can't tell if it fits, ride your horse with the saddle on until she sweats. Then take the saddle off and look underneath the pad. The whole back (where the saddle was) should be wet. If there are areas where it is suddenly dry but surrounded by all the wet, then the saddle is pinching there. It pinches and therefore the moisture cannot accumulate. A small area of dry in a large area of wet is a sure sign of saddle pinching.

yourcolorfuladdiction 02-26-2012 08:12 PM

I actually don't think that your saddle is too small for you, your stirrups are too short, they're suppose to touch your ankle bone or just above it when your leg is straight. It looks like, when you have your feet out of the stirrups they're already at your ankles before you straighten your leg. Lengthen your stirrup and see how that works (if the saddle in fact does fit your horse).

poultrygirl 02-27-2012 03:49 PM

8 Attachment(s)
New pics....Put the saddle on everyone today...Does it fit anybody in particular? OPINIONS PLEASE AND THANK YOU! :shock::D

The morgan/mustang:

Attachment 89846 Side
Attachment 89847 Withers
Attachment 89848 Back

"Big" Paint gelding (I take no credit for pig-pen here, he belongs to a 13 year old who wont touch him. And she will not permit me to ride him either.).
Attachment 89849
Attachment 89850

And finally, on the Arab/Pinto (from yesterday). I feel like she may be the most narrow of all of them?

Attachment 89851
Attachment 89852
Attachment 89853