The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Correct leads (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/correct-leads-114452/)

howrsegirl123 02-26-2012 08:29 PM

Correct leads

How can I make sure my horse picks up the correct lead each time, like if we were at a show?

PaintLover17 02-26-2012 11:30 PM

When you're schooling at home does your horse always pick up the correct lead? If he does then he probably will at a show too. If he doesn't, then ask for the canter in the corners of the arena or on a circle. This will almost force the correct lead and make the wrong one difficult. As soon as he gets the correct lead praise him. Eventually he will understand the cues for the correct lead. If he picks the correct lead up fine at home but not at a show you can try using the above technique in the warm up ring. After your horse learns the cues for the correct lead you can ask for the canter even on the straight parts of the arena and expect the correct lead. Just very lightly put some pressure on the inside rein and cue with your outside leg.
Posted via Mobile Device

SorrelHorse 02-26-2012 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by howrsegirl123 (Post 1379956)
How can I make sure my horse picks up the correct lead each time, like if we were at a show?

Proper training.

Chiilaa 02-27-2012 12:24 AM

Also, at a show, if your horse picks up the wrong lead, don't just continue along on the wrong lead. Stop, and ask for the correct lead. It is far better to correct it than to just pretend it isn't happening.

Skyseternalangel 02-27-2012 01:10 AM

The best way to ensure your horse picks up the right lead is to help them out by shifting YOUR weight to the outside, and cueing the canter with correct timing. The more bent they are (as in inside hind moves underneath them, but they're still straight) the easier it is for them to pick up the correct lead and to distinguish the two.

Timing is crucial. Set your horse up for the correct lead.

mildot 02-27-2012 05:10 AM

Slight flexion with inside rein
Sit upright (not leaning fwd)
Transfer your weight to the inside seatbone
Squeeze inside leg at the girth
Touch outside leg just behind the girth

Eventually, as your horse gets used to those aids you can start taking away the outside leg and teach him to canter just from the weight shift to the inside.

That's how you ask for the correct lead on a trained horse.

And untrained one, I can't help you there.

Skyseternalangel 02-27-2012 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mildot (Post 1380553)
Slight flexion with inside rein
Sit upright (not leaning fwd)
Transfer your weight to the inside seatbone
Squeeze inside leg at the girth
Touch outside leg just behind the girth
And untrained one, I can't help you there.

Inside seatbone? I was taught outside seatbone

DuffyDuck 02-27-2012 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel (Post 1380554)
Inside seatbone? I was taught outside seatbone

Nope, always inside seatbone to ask for canter! If you sit outside, it unbalances the horse, and gives a higher chance for counter canter, or with a green horse, no canter.
Inside legs give the impulsion, outside leg keeps the horse in place.

Raising your inside hand slightly will also help with the bend.

If it is untrained under saddle, please say and I can help develop further, apart from that, mildot has summed it up.

I don't know what style you ride, but my inside leg is ALWAYS my cue for canter, my outside leg acts as my straightning/bending rod in case I want to do canter half pass- my outside leg is already asking for canter, so how do I ask for half pass? Always inside leg ;)

howrsegirl123 02-27-2012 10:46 PM

No, he knows his leads, but sometimes I think I don't set him up correctly, so he'll sometimes pick up the wrong lead, so that's what I'm asking...how do I properly set him up?

Skyseternalangel 02-27-2012 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuffyDuck (Post 1380560)
Nope, always inside seatbone to ask for canter! If you sit outside, it unbalances the horse, and gives a higher chance for counter canter, or with a green horse, no canter.
Inside legs give the impulsion, outside leg keeps the horse in place.

Huh, that's weird.. alright well now I have more to brew over when I get back on a horse :)