The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   Wanting to Compete? (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/wanting-compete-114514/)

MisssMarie 02-27-2012 09:29 AM

Wanting to Compete?

I'm lookin to buy a weanling or yearling quarter horse, and when she's old enough, I'd like to try to compete. I'm lookin into 2 man sorting. What else would you say sounds fun or recommend I look into?
Posted via Mobile Device

Joe4d 02-27-2012 11:21 AM

I'd look into a horse that is already trained. That way you can learn the sport and what needs to be done and how to do it.
Think about it, how are you gonna teach a horse to do a sport that you dont know how to do ?

MisssMarie 02-27-2012 11:34 AM

I'd find a trainer & train for the 2 years then get help training her
Posted via Mobile Device

Tasia 02-27-2012 11:21 PM

May I ask why exactly? Why not save your money and get a trained horse, which you can compete with this weekend? You will have more fun and less bills.

MisssMarie 02-27-2012 11:29 PM

In my family, it's just the way it's been done. My aunt got her first horse as a foal, her mom did, her mom did, kind of a right of passage I guess. No, it's not a case of green + green. I helped her raise foals. So, just a personal preference
Posted via Mobile Device

mildot 03-01-2012 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisssMarie (Post 1382127)
In my family, it's just the way it's been done.

Doesn't mean that's the best way.

MisssMarie 03-01-2012 12:07 PM

Never said it was the best, however I do like the idea
Posted via Mobile Device

rob 03-02-2012 01:38 PM

misssmarie,do what you're comfortable with.if its starting your own,then do it.if im not mistaken,the question was what events.not should i buy a finished horse .

Ink 03-02-2012 01:52 PM

I've always thought cutting looked like it would be fun if you're looking to do something with cattle. Reining is a blast!

There's nothing wrong with wanting to start your own horse. It's a goal for a lot of us horse people. But, it might be a good idea to go ahead and find some trainers for the disciplines you're considering competing in. Take a few lessons and try them out so you can get a better idea of what you really like doing. Then you can go out and find a horse that suits your needs. You don't want to spend money on months/years of training only to find out you don't like doing it.

rob 03-02-2012 02:01 PM

i agree with you ink whole heartedly.