The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Where to find a chiropractor? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/where-find-chiropractor-114515/)

poppy1356 02-27-2012 10:33 AM

Where to find a chiropractor?

Where would I start to look for an equine chiro/massage therapist? From what I can tell I don't think anyone at my barn would believe in this stuff. Also is there any info on how I could help her muscles relax after working? She is a rescue and I am working on building muscle so I would think she might get sore just from regular working.

DuffyDuck 02-27-2012 10:35 AM

You could speak to your vet, or local tack shop- maybe even your farrier :) They help promote each other ;)

poppy1356 02-27-2012 10:40 AM

Thank you. The vet comes in a couple weeks so I will ask then. Is there anything I can do now for her? Maybe some simple stretching or a mini massage for her? She absolutely loves being groomed and touched.

DuffyDuck 02-27-2012 10:45 AM

You could do carrot stretches! Stand on her left side against her trunk, make her bend left, and right for the carrot, and between her legs.. and walking in hand helps loads for building up :D

Good luck!

poppy1356 02-27-2012 11:02 AM

Thanks so much, I will try those tonight. Unfortunately this weather is not being so good lately for anything. We have a round pen that she will lunge at w/t in but the ground is now frozen and we have a snow storm and freezing rain headed this way for the rest of the week. So I am looking for stretches we can do without much walking as everywhere on property has ice.

DuffyDuck 02-27-2012 11:09 AM

Thats rubbish!

Poor you... hate it when the bad weather hits.

Leg stretches too... just don't over extend, let her tell you when its enough, and wear a hat- you never know... front legs stretch forward, if she pulls back, stop where you are, and try and keep hold of the leg, providing she's not tugging hard, about to fall over etc and hold for 8 seconds.. both legs, and her rear legs stretch back, but keep it lower to start off with... but please wear a hat.. some horses can snatch legs back, and if you're not so sure on her history, better safe than sorry :)

Dreamcatcher Arabians 02-27-2012 11:16 AM

I'll second the carrot stretches and leg stretches. I also like to do massage with Vetrolin or Thermacare if I think the horse is sore. Most like a little plastic hand held massager that has balls on the ends of the 'fingers', seems to feel pretty good to them. You can also use a good rubber curry to go over them thoroughly, they love a good scritch with the curry comb.

poppy1356 02-27-2012 11:35 AM

I will try one of those hand massager things, I was wondering if horses would like them. I will definately wear a helmet as she is known to kick with her back feet, as just last week we had a disagreement as to how long it takes to pick her feet. She seems better since then but yes I know she will kick with her back feet (it seems there may be a past injury as it's typically just one hoof she gets fidgety about). She doesn't seem to like the rubber curry as much though. Thanks for the advice.