The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack Reviews (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-reviews/)
-   -   Information on saddle brands (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-reviews/information-saddle-brands-114544/)

Born2Ride 02-27-2012 02:41 PM

Information on saddle brands

Ok, well i'm looking at buying a starter saddle to ride english in. Anyways, so far i've found 2 i like. The first is the Silver Fox saddle package that horse.com sells for $169, then the 2nd is a used Derby Original. The only thing is the derby is synthetic, i love my western synthetic, but i don't know much about english ones?? Has anybody had experience with either brands, and/or english synthetic saddles? The derby is a little beat up, and i wouldn't know how to clean it since its not leather. But the price is great on it. So any input would be great, i'm still looking around, but these 2 are on the top of the list. Also, can you show in a synthetic saddle? It would only be local open shows.

themacpack 02-27-2012 02:46 PM

You clean an English synthetic just as you should your western - with good ol' fashioned water and, if/when needed, mild soap.

Born2Ride 02-27-2012 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themacpack (Post 1381075)
You clean an English synthetic just as you should your western - with good ol' fashioned water and, if/when needed, mild soap.

Well i've never had to clean my synthetic lol, if it gets some hair on it, i just use a soft brush and brush it down. But this one looks like it might have scratchs, and with anything leather i've owned, good cleaning and oiling normally takes out a lot of notice of the scratchs. Maybe thats just me though.

unclearthur 02-27-2012 03:30 PM

Those Silver Fox saddles are cheap Far East/Indian manufacture. Leather's okay but trees are weak and poorly shaped and the flocking is rubbish. You get what you pay for with these, which is not a lot. Personally I wouldn't put one on my horse's back. Sorry.

Cavalrytales Blog

Born2Ride 02-27-2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unclearthur (Post 1381146)
Those Silver Fox saddles are cheap Far East/Indian manufacture. Leather's okay but trees are weak and poorly shaped and the flocking is rubbish. You get what you pay for with these, which is not a lot. Personally I wouldn't put one on my horse's back. Sorry.

Cavalrytales Blog

Alright, well thanks for the information.
Posted via Mobile Device

IslandWave 02-27-2012 04:07 PM

I would not go with a starter type saddle. It looks and sounds painful for both the rider and the horse. Not to mention that it probably will not last you very long, as the quality is usually compromised.

I would look for a used, but good quality saddle that has been well cared for. Take Stubbens for example. They can last 30-40 years, easy and are top of the line. I personally ride in a 30-ish year old County dressage saddle daily on numerous horses. It is my favorite saddle and I show it it, too.

Born2Ride 02-27-2012 04:39 PM

All the nicer name brand saddles seem to be out of my budget even used ones, which is why im looking at starter type saddles.
Posted via Mobile Device

IslandWave 02-27-2012 05:16 PM

What is your budget, if you don't mind me asking?
I would rather ride bareback than in a cheapo starter saddle.

Born2Ride 02-27-2012 06:38 PM

Well im not going to ride bareback, that would defeat the purpose of trying to learn english. My max is $100 for just the saddle, or about $150 if it comes with everything.
Posted via Mobile Device

DraftXDressage 02-27-2012 06:49 PM

I would wait until you can afford a decent quality used saddle. The cheapy "starter package" type saddles aren't even worth their absurdly low prices.