The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   When old reliable lets you down (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/when-old-reliable-lets-you-down-114565/)

Maple 02-27-2012 03:54 PM

When old reliable lets you down

On Saturday we moved Simba, my daughters pony out to the yard where we keep Bandit. She rode him on Sunday and he was as good as gold. He isn't getting turned out quite yet so I let him into the large round lunge ring. I tough to le thim settle I'd throw good ol reliable Bandit it with him. Bandit who doesnt blink an eye at anything.. Bandit who wouldnt hurt a fly...

Put Bandit it and all was good until I turned to close the gate, was half out the gate and Bandit decided that the 11hh pony was a horse eatting monster who has a thing for 16.2hh piebalds. Bandit charged the gate, i hushed my arms in the air and shouted - apparently this technique does not work on old reliables and he went right through me, I did my best to get him to stop but hadn't a hope - he sent me flying a good 5 feet. My husband was sitting in the car with the baby and saw the whole thing.. he couldn't believe it, as Bandit has never done anything like that before.

The one thing mr old reliable did right was head straight back to his stable.. which is a bonus cus I wasn't in the humor to go horse hunting this evening.

Now I've got giant bruises all over my knees and one of my arms - typical when I've got an awards dinner to go to this weekend :cry:

busysmurf 02-27-2012 03:58 PM

Gotta, love them 'ol reliables! Ya know they do stuff like that just to keep you on your toes;)

kait18 02-27-2012 03:59 PM

ouch feel better ..old reliables can fail us every so often ;p

Joe4d 02-27-2012 04:47 PM

I wont have that problem. My horse and I are both nuts and we both know it. Keeps us from getting disappointed.

Country Woman 02-27-2012 05:31 PM

I hope you feel better soon

farley 02-27-2012 07:03 PM

haha a few years ago we used to have a big garden about 60 ftX100 ft. My mom used to make everyone go out to it and work on it together. Family time i guess but all us kids hated it. Well I used to get out of it by "riding" Grady. Which basically consisted of me sitting on him bareback in front of the garden fence texting. haha. Well at the beginning of one of the new season we were getting ready to replant. My dad was rototilling it, while my mom and brother kicked out the rocks. I was on Grady bareback just texting away When All of a sudden Grady spooked hard to the right, I reacted quickly and reached for the reins and some mane but I wasnt quick enough and I actually think that in my quick movement I startled him even more which caused the bolt. (If Grady spooks he will only do a swift movement in either direction but then stops only to have moved a few feet from his original place, he has never bolted besides that day). It was as if he ran right out from under me cause I landed in the same spot we were standing. I only remember watching him gallop off and woke up an hour later, I had a concision, broke my elbow and bruised my tailbone. The funny thing is my mom told me that When I blacked out I was still holding my phone:rofl:

He is my ol' reliable, I have rode him in the dark, down freeways, through town, around the motocross park, Harleys, Big rigs, tractors, ran cows, throw anyone on em. I ask and will pure his heart into it. And yet that one particular day he let me down... But I dont hold it against him, I have let that horse down too many times and he is still so good to me. :D

Maple 02-28-2012 03:34 PM

haha, thanks all. He was being a toad again today - tomorrow we shall commence revising a lesson on ground manners! The warmer weather must be making him feel super well in himself, although that's no excuse for being a pushy little monster (or big as the case may be).

Still very stick and my one knee hasn't stopped throbbing and is very stiff... suppose it's not the worst injury I've ever had and probably won't be my last run in with a giant piebald :)

I think there was more a shock factor than anything - even my husband can't get over it and he's non-horsey.. he just keeps going "I can't believe Bandit did that, I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it".

As we always say,at the end of the day they have their own brains....even if sometimes they malfunction :)