The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Show grooming a gray horse in winter (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/show-grooming-gray-horse-winter-114586/)

Sphi 02-27-2012 06:17 PM

Show grooming a gray horse in winter

Hey guys!

So it's too cold to bathe here, any more than just the legs & tail. But when I was trying on a new white fitted saddle pad today, I realized how dirty and dull Maggie's coat looked. I definitely need to do something to clean her before our show on Sunday, but temps are in the mid 40s - low 50s this week.

Can I use Cowboy Magic all over her body? I've only ever used it on single stains.

Is it too cold to sponge bathe?

What's the hot towel method I keep hearing about? And how do you keep the towels hot? Does it actually work?

Any other tips for getting her clean without doing a full bath?

Thanks!

waresbear 02-27-2012 07:07 PM

Well if you have access to a industrial vacuum, it really sucks the dander off them. Sorry never heard of hot towels, but I assuming it's wet hot towels and you skim over the horse's coat to lift off surface dirt. I have done that before, works pretty good.

Sphi 02-27-2012 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 1381615)
Well if you have access to a industrial vacuum, it really sucks the dander off them.

Oh right, I totally forgot we have a vacuum at my barn! I wonder if Maggie would stand for that... :P

waresbear 02-27-2012 07:09 PM

Some horses get all freaked out about it, use it as a training exercise, they get used to it, just like clippers.

franknbeans 02-27-2012 07:12 PM

I'm really sorry, but my initial reaction was "good luck with that!"......;-)

CAn any of the residual stains, after the hot towels-be sort of concealed with baby powder? I know we sometimes use that to whiten stockings and faces.........

Sphi 02-27-2012 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franknbeans (Post 1381624)
CAn any of the residual stains, after the hot towels-be sort of concealed with baby powder? I know we sometimes use that to whiten stockings and faces.........

It's not really stains, she just looks dull, haha. I'm pretty good at getting individual stains out but this is like her whole body lol.

lkjhorse927 02-29-2012 04:45 PM

I have a grayish palomino- basically white, and If your horse has a winter coat and she's shedding, you should try a shedding blade on her. My horse's winter coat was dull and dirtyish so once it was gone, he was totally cleaner. Also, curry, curry, curry. It makes a HUGE difference if you spend 15 more minutes a day grooming.

Sphi 02-29-2012 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkjhorse927 (Post 1385136)
If your horse has a winter coat and she's shedding, you should try a shedding blade on her. My horse's winter coat was dull and dirtyish so once it was gone, he was totally cleaner. Also, curry, curry, curry. It makes a HUGE difference if you spend 15 more minutes a day grooming.

Good idea! I'll do that!

COWCHICK77 02-29-2012 06:36 PM

Maybe get him as clean as you can and right before you go in the ring spray a bunch of Pepi World Champion on him. That stuff makes horses super shiny!

waresbear 02-29-2012 07:19 PM

And it smells like sweet candies!