The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Advice on mares behaviour with foal. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/advice-mares-behaviour-foal-114641/)

katysummer 02-28-2012 06:11 AM

Advice on mares behaviour with foal.

Advice on mare needed,

My mare foaled 4 weeks ago and is as far as we know a maiden, She is not interested much in the colt. Doesnt care about him being beside her or keeping him in check and keeps breaking fences/ stable doors to escape leaving him alone or to get wet outside.
She is turned out all day and stabled at night. She is grazing in a fenced paddock next to the other horses. The mare is not intersted in the others when introduced, however the colt is currentley trying to mount a mare thats in season. The colt has been eating/attempting to eat hard feed grass and hay for about a week.
Yesterday she went through a wire fence and the foal followed, The other horses she can see when stabled but they cannot reach her. And when she breaks free she does not end up with them but the oposite direction.
The other horses do not seem to upset her she will happily graze fence by fence with them.

Is there anything i can do to make her become more responsible towards her foal. Should he be weaned early?

CLaPorte432 02-28-2012 09:37 AM

893 Attachment(s)
Is the foal still feeding off of her?

katysummer 02-28-2012 09:58 AM

Yes he is.

mls 02-28-2012 10:01 AM

If she is allowing him to nurse, I don't think it's the colt she is trying to get away from.

As far as the colt 'mounting' - that's a play thing at four weeks. He has no concept of mating yet.

His trying to eat grass is simply mimicking the other horses as nature intends.

CLaPorte432 02-28-2012 10:03 AM

893 Attachment(s)
Then i would not wean him early. The only bad behavior im hearing about is her breaking down fences. Id focus on getting a stronger fence system that she respects and isnt going to hurt her or the foal.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jacksmama 02-28-2012 10:08 AM

Some mares, IME, just don't have a super strong maternal instinct. That's what she sounds like. As long as she continues to let him nurse and isn't aggressive towards him I wouldn't be too worried, just keep an eye on him to make sure he doesn't get himself into trouble since mama is somewhat blase' about it. And as CLa recommended, I'd work on the fencing. Baby could get tangled up in it when mom knows how to avoid it.

katysummer 02-28-2012 10:12 AM

She will allow him to nurse, tramples all over him but he feeds, do you think shes just bored? She is turned out all day and stabled at night. Yeah i know hes just mimicking and playing, hes already very independent has no problem leaving mum. Is it good to wean him early as she seems just not that interested in him. Im talking 2-3months not 4 weeks

katysummer 02-28-2012 10:14 AM

All our now destroyed fences as being replaced as we speak for wooden ones. I dont mean he has bad behavoiur im just worried shes not interested in him.

CLaPorte432 02-28-2012 10:15 AM

893 Attachment(s)
I'd leave him with mom as long as you can. If they make it to 5-6 months, great. If he needs to be weaned at 3 months, that's do-able. But as long as she is feeding him, and not hurting him, I see no reason to pull him off her.

katysummer 02-28-2012 10:18 AM

OK thanks never had a mare that didnt call her foal to be with her at all times and needed a little reasurrance. Cheers.