The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Shedding season, what do you use? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/shedding-season-what-do-you-use-114721/)

mselizabeth 02-28-2012 09:28 PM

Shedding season, what do you use?

As i'm sure many of you are experiencing, it is the beginning of shedding season.

My boy has yet to start (most likely due to him wearing a blanket most winter), however most of his pasture buddies are shedding already. So i'm sure it's coming.

What do you guys use during shedding season?

I've always used currycombs to gradually shed the hair, but I am sick and tired of being absolutely covered in hair every day :D

I'm excited to hear all of your tricks and tips for shedding season!

Cowgirl140ty 02-28-2012 09:31 PM

My horses never really get hairy cause theyvare always blanketed. My mini who does not get blanketed, i use a slick n easy or two on him.
Posted via Mobile Device

With Grace 02-28-2012 09:32 PM

I just purchased a Furminator, and hoping its the trick since I wear half of a horse worth of hair every time I ride!

cakemom 02-28-2012 09:38 PM

I use the slick stone and a furminator. Ours have been pretty protected this year so very little to shed out.
Posted via Mobile Device

MissColors 02-28-2012 10:15 PM

I use a round/coiled shedding blade and that helps some but not enough. I also wet Kelo and curry at the same time and just repeat over and over a couple of times and that can hold me a couple of days.

AQHA13 02-28-2012 10:20 PM

The Furminator!

waresbear 02-28-2012 10:25 PM

Furminator & elbow grease. That furminator is worth it's weight in gold, saved me many, many hours of brushing out winter fur.

mselizabeth 02-28-2012 10:41 PM

What exactly is a furminator?

Like how it works. I googled it but couldn't find much info.

I was really tempted to buy a slick n' easy. It's super cheap, so I might.

Missy May 02-28-2012 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mselizabeth (Post 1384066)
What exactly is a furminator?

Like how it works. I googled it but couldn't find much info.

I was really tempted to buy a slick n' easy. It's super cheap, so I might.

It is an overpriced shedding rake-comb thing that fetches its price b/c it works. I use one on my dog, but not my horse. Elbow grease is cheap, no cost but ya need it. I use a "rubber massage" thing to loosen the hair, then a sweat blade (comb side), and then a brush - once a day. You can buy all three for less than the furminator, with change left over. The slickneasy is nice for places the hair just won't "give it up" and after they have shed...but not whole body spring shedding.

With Grace 02-28-2012 11:47 PM

I just posted this tonight on another thread, but Amazon has the equine Furminator on sale for $29.