The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   I cant belive it!!!!!!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/i-cant-belive-11473/)

HorsesAreForever 07-14-2008 09:55 PM

I cant belive it!!!!!!!

well for one i found out today [i know i mentioned this] but we found out chance is NOT 5 shes probably abour 9 or 10, this upsets me because we were told she was 5 and shes has the training of a 5 yr old, or well she did a few weeks ago now we can jump and she accually behaves and we can ride for 1 1/2 hr no problems! [i did it lol]! But im not gonna like sell her because of her age she still acts 5 and just as cute :P and I guess my OLD bo said her teeth were floated but we found out they NEED to be floated soon, so we are gonna get them done. And we also found out that chances shoes were NOT needed for any apparent reason, and the person who did it was really rough and her front feet underneath the shoes were basicly torn apart! thats why she wouldnt pick them up [half of it is behavoral problems though i was told] So we can only do light working walking a ton right now and some trotting and light jumping and stay on gravel and grass no tar. till the toe heals and hardens. But the ferriar said seeing that she wouldnt pick up her feet i did a nice job taking care of them the best i could and she has good feet and frogs. ^_^ and then the ferrier said that chance is soo cute and wishes she was her lol i felt special cause everyone loves chance and how loveable she is :P

so the only problem we have right now is coggins considering we thought she was 5 her coggins was done when she was 3... and if shes about 9 or 10 erm were in troble.

i think thats it for now.. ill update some other time.

but all the old bo did to me was lie!

iridehorses 07-14-2008 10:13 PM

HAF, 9 or 10 is a great age. Most horses are settled in by then and a lot more predictable. I prefer that age to a 5 year old.

As for the coggins, it needs to be done every year to be current so having one that is a few years old is really pretty useless.

Good luck with your new horse - hope you enjoy him!

HorsesAreForever 07-14-2008 10:19 PM

im not getting a new horse..??? and chance is a she :P

coggins is good for 3 yrs

well even if chance is 9 or 10 she acts a ton younger

but thanks :]

PoptartShop 07-14-2008 10:27 PM

Aw, that sucks. I agree though- 9/10yrs old is a nice age for a horse!! :D Not too old at all.
Just work through gradually, & I hope you get everything straightened out. That's no fair about the BO lying to you, either. :roll:

HorsesAreForever 07-14-2008 10:40 PM

yer

training is going good i just cant get over my bo lieing.

mlkarel2010 07-14-2008 11:27 PM

Hmm, I bet you're REALLY glad you switched barns now. She really shouldn't have lied to you.

Glad you found out why Chance wouldn't pick up her feet, even though it stinks you can't do as much until they harden again.

Don't worry, if she acts young and all that's fine. Really 9-10 is a great age, probably one of the best ages.

HorsesAreForever 07-14-2008 11:32 PM

oo ya im soo happy i moved barns! and no she shouldnt have lied i did so many things for her and it think she could of repaid me back with honesty you know.

and it will probably only take a few weeks till it hardens and heals so not a big deal we can still walk trot and jump some and do some fun things in hand.

Im acually happy she acts young i wish she had some more manners but im happy lol

KANSAS_TWISTER 07-15-2008 12:06 AM

your old BO was scam artist, google her name and you will find out, and yes coggins has to be done every year....do it to be on the safe side...if you are not current on that you can not show her..

loosie 07-15-2008 12:06 AM

Sorry to hear of the lies you were told. I was told my first horse was 8yo when I bought him, only to find when I got the dentist for him that he was closer to 16yo! I would be very cautious of purchasing a horse without a vet check these days.

Speaking of dental work, a horse generally needs their teeth seen to once every year or 2 in middle age. However, if they wear a bit or they eat grain or such, it may be needed more often.

Re picking her feet up, yes, of course it's a behavioural issue, but as with everything, of course there are always good reasons(for the horse, anyway) for any 'naughtiness', whether it's physical or not. I don't think there's likely to be a physical problem with picking her feet up now, so you should be able to start working gradually & providing lots of well timed reinforcement, so that she's able to be trimmed asap.

I don't understand why gravel would be OK if tar isn't. If it's because the toes/breakover are too long, so that the leverage on them is too strong on hard ground, I would advise staying off the gravel too, until you can get her trimmed properly. If it's just that her feet are generally weak, a paved road should be easier for her than loose stones. Paved roads are generally easier to begin with for a transitioning horse than gravel roads or tracks, because they're smooth.

Brandon 07-15-2008 12:07 AM

Before you bought chance did you check her teeth? You can tell a horses age by there teeth, did you get a vet check on chance before you bought him?