The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Plus Sized Riders (http://www.horseforum.com/plus-sized-riders/)
-   -   Riding isnt important...lol (http://www.horseforum.com/plus-sized-riders/riding-isnt-important-lol-114780/)

gingerscout 02-29-2012 02:17 PM

Riding isnt important...lol

So Lets see if this makes sense to anyone over the last three years i have been looking for someplace to ride.. being a plus sized guy its really hard to find something apparently.. and i get the same line from everyone I talk to .. riding isnt important... fine I get that.. but I havent ridden in 6-8 months, so If i could ride occasionally it wouldnt be a big deal.. so I bought ginger.. as I figured something with horses was better than nothing, so I caught flack for that as she was a yearling, and I had a deal i was supposed to keep riding.. well when she came the deal stopped.. so I told everyone if i was riding occasionally i wouldnt have bought ginger.. so I started looking for a place to ride, again found nothing.. so I sold ginger.. and i told everyone if I could ride occasionally I wouldnt sell her.. why does everyone who can ride tell me I never need to ride, that I should never get to ride, as who needs to ride so to speak..lol.. I hear all the time that guys ride, but no one has proven me wrong.. I still think unless I hold a gun to someones head at times, I wont get to do anything.. and the thing is.. I dont have the money to buy another horse right now, but im looking again anyways.. I guess I have to put financial strain on my family if I want to do this..oh well..lol sorry for the rant

kitten_Val 02-29-2012 02:48 PM

Look for trail riding barns. Many do allow plus size riders in.

afatgirlafathorse 02-29-2012 02:53 PM

When I went looking, I just posted an ad on Kijiji (the equivalent of CL here in Canada) - straightforward and simple "Plus sized rider looking for lessons." -- so there was no having to broach the subject later, the only people that would reply (hopefully, lol) were ones that could accomodate me. It was actually "in my own backyard" that I ended up getting the saddle time... a client of my mother's who owns friesians replied to my ad - I would never have thought to have asked her. I now ride weekly at a very fat-friendly barn that I wouldn't have even known existed had I not put out my shingle.

gingerscout 02-29-2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afatgirlafathorse (Post 1384908)
When I went looking, I just posted an ad on Kijiji (the equivalent of CL here in Canada) - straightforward and simple "Plus sized rider looking for lessons." -- so there was no having to broach the subject later, the only people that would reply (hopefully, lol) were ones that could accomodate me. It was actually "in my own backyard" that I ended up getting the saddle time... a client of my mother's who owns friesians replied to my ad - I would never have thought to have asked her. I now ride weekly at a very fat-friendly barn that I wouldn't have even known existed had I not put out my shingle.

been there done that actually.. have put ads on cl and in feed stores in the past.. and Im upfront with size and weight.. so people arent surprised, but it just seems there is very little within 100 miles of me to ride at

kitten_Val 02-29-2012 03:34 PM

gs, I'm sorry for politically incorrect question, but what is your weight that you can't find any mount at all? May be it's a good time to join "losing by tens" club. :wink:

gingerscout 02-29-2012 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_Val (Post 1384991)
gs, I'm sorry for politically incorrect question, but what is your weight that you can't find any mount at all? May be it's a good time to join "losing by tens" club. :wink:

heres the thing im not super heavy.. I know many people heavier than me who ride.. just in other parts of the country.. Im in the low 240's right now.. I did gain some back over the last holiday, but as the weather warms up I can get outside and work on getting more off again.. tons of people tell me it shouldnt be a problem,but for some reason it is.. oh well what can you do.. you cant force people to do things:lol: goal is to hit 200 by the end of the year

gingerscout 02-29-2012 03:44 PM

although I know im not the lightest person.. so that has some to do with it. but everyone just saying lose more weight.. yeah if it were that easy..lol, but it would be easier if I had something to shoot for.. Im trying to lose weight so I can ride more, better... but other than being more healthy which is a plus.. I still am not riding.. even though ive lost close to 80 pounds over the last 3 years.. and at like 330 I actually had a horse to ride.. now at 240 im too fat as one person told me...lol

kitten_Val 02-29-2012 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gingerscout (Post 1384997)
Im in the low 240's right now..

That's not bad at all! I'd say keep looking and checking different places. There is a possibility some places can be just booked. And many places (in my area at least) only give lessons on your own horse (which is not a case for you, unfortunately). Wish you best luck in your search!

kait18 02-29-2012 04:23 PM

if you were in my area i know plenty of people who would let you ride.. :( good luck in your search :)

farmpony84 02-29-2012 04:39 PM

Have you tried lesson barns?