The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   flexible tree on a Crump saddle? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/flexible-tree-crump-saddle-114814/)

freia 02-29-2012 07:29 PM

flexible tree on a Crump saddle?

I'm going to go look at an older Crump close contact saddle this weekend. When I asked how wide the tree is, she said that it's on the narrow side of medium, but that it's a flexible tree, so it will expand a little to fit various shoulder-sizes.
This will be the first Crump I've ever seen. I know they're decent saddles, but the flexible tree is new to me.
Does anybody know anything about these trees? Just how much flex do they have? Are they known for pinching, or being easily damaged or anything?

SouthernTrails 02-29-2012 07:53 PM

I am looking in an old BT Crump Sales Catalog, I found a couple of Models that were made for them by Zaldi in Spain and Ruiz Diaz, with a spring tree, but is is not the kind of spring tree that allows for fitting various widths.
They have one model made by JE Sedgwick for them that has replaceable gullet plates for various size horse.
All the other models have normal wood trees.

freia 02-29-2012 08:25 PM

Thank you,m Southern Trails! How handy, to have an old Crump catalog laying around:-)

I've figured out that it's an old Prix de Saute. She's asking $50 for saddle, leathers, irons, girth, and pad. As long as the tree is good, it will be hard to pass up.
Based on your info, if the tree is flexing in the front, I should probably assume that it has a broken gullet plate.

SouthernTrails 02-29-2012 08:41 PM

I do not see a Prix de Saute in the Book, it is a 2005, so that model must be older... so it could have a flexible tree, for 50.00 with all the accesories, hard to pass up.

I got this book from a friend at American Saddlery back when they owned BT Crump... have no idea who sells them now.