The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   Will western pleasure help his jumping? (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/will-western-pleasure-help-his-jumping-114862/)

JaneyWaney9 03-01-2012 04:46 AM

Will western pleasure help his jumping?

I'm going to do a little bit of western pleasure, maybe even show in a couple classes at a small show.
My horse is primarily a jumper, but his gaits are smooth and steady enough and can be slowed down enough to do western pleasure.
I'm wondering if doing western pleasure will help any of his jumping? Obviously I'm not going to be practicing jumping with a western saddle on. But for the days I do flatwork, would it help to try some western?

mildot 03-01-2012 07:59 AM

Absolutely not. Get a dressage trainer (or a dressage exercises book) and do that instead.

Improving adjustability of gaits, lateral flexibility, and your horse's capacity for collected work will help immensely with a jumper.

WP will just set you backwards.

franknbeans 03-01-2012 08:12 AM

Agree totally with mildot. IMO-there is no such thing as a horse that EXCELS at more than one discipline. That is just MY experience.

equiniphile 03-01-2012 08:47 AM

In most cases, frank, I agree. I can't think of a single Western Pleasure horse that also excels in jumping. However, with related disciplines, you often do see it. My uncle's stallion is a fantastic reiner at the national level, but they tried him on a cow several years ago and he absolutely excels at cutting as well.

gigem88 03-01-2012 08:57 AM

While I haven't tried jumping (yet!), my gelding does dressage and WP. And, have been successful at both types of shows. It keeps him from being bored and gets him out of the same ol' routine.

gypsygirl 03-01-2012 09:31 AM

i really dont see how WP would help his jumping at all. i dont think it would hurt it, but it wouldnt have any benefit. if you want to improve his jumping i would work on dressage and some cavaletti.

mildot 03-01-2012 09:39 AM

I'm not really looking at it from the point of view of whether a jumper will excel at WP or the other way around.

The OP just asked if cross training in WP is going to help her jumper.

My answer to that is no, simply because the amount of collection and adjustability (lateral as well as stride) demanded of a jumper far exceeds what is asked of a WP horse.

Dressage, particularly at second level and higher, demands a lot more in those qualities of going out of a horse.

I don't have to go too far to find validation, George Morris is a proponent of using dressage movements and training on jumpers for the same reasons.

If I was going to pick a western sport that would help a jumper, it would be reining.

GotaDunQH 03-02-2012 05:22 PM

Yea, even though I am a WP person....jumping and WP are on totally different ends of the spectrum. pick one or the other. Both require very different training and movement.