The Horse Forum (http://www.horseforum.com/forumindex.php)
- Horse Talk (/horse-talk/)
- - What skills do your horses have? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/what-skills-do-your-horses-have-114867/)
What skills do your horses have?
Just a random idea. Also, it would be neat to see what your horses can do and get inspired in what to teach my own. :)
To start off -
* The basics. W/t/c, stop and back up :lol: , leg yields.
* Basic jumping over low obstacles (50-70cm), but will be trained more, because he loves jumping.
* Trails, trails, trails. He's generally fearless and is happy to be a trail ride leader, if I let him to.
* Is trained to be ridden only in halter, also bareback is fine.
* Basic groundwork and lungeing, responds to body and vocal cues. Enjoys cavaletti and ground pole work.
* Parelli 7 games on line and basics at liberty. I have started to teach him the Spanish walk, but it's still very basic.
* Backs up from tail, is ok with any strange objects on him, near him or under him, will climb on and over anything, so I teach him to interact with different objects - carry whips and buckets, fetch, kick a ball, etc.
* Is good at chasing dogs. :lol:
* Is good at stealing hats from peoples' heads. :lol:
* Will switch on any lights and radios, if he finds any.
* Also, will steal any shovels, if he finds any.
* And is able to open any doors.
I am planning to gradually make him more supple and agile in turns and circles, because he's rather stiff in his ribs, and I also would like to do more endurance training with him, but I have to get my own saddle first, we're currently mostly bareback.
So, what are the talents of your horse/horses? :-)
Well my girl isn't trained in saddle yet. But so far she can untie herself when no one is looking, hold food in her mouth until you are not paying attention then drop it in your sweatshirt and of course walk on a lead line.
We are still working on the basics of standing when tied and perfecting our lunging skills.
mine eats and poops with the best of them. ;)
hmm lets see...
walk/trot/canter/gallop and back
move sideways - leg yeild and side pass, no half pass though !
flying and simple lead changes
turns on the haunches and forehand
jump, and cross country
experience at shows
great ground manners- ground ties, cross ties, backs from a distance, yeilds.
lunges very well at all gaits with changes of direction
trailers perfectly, and she loads herself !
can ride through a gate
can ride on the road
knows how to kiss and hug on command, learning how to shake her head yes and no lol
she can also do the parelli 7 games
she free lunges as well as she lunges [even in a large arena, she will circle around me]
she also has a command that means pick your head up and stop eating. i do this mostly when i want to fasten her chest straps on her blanket while shes eating off the ground.
she can also be ridden bareback, ive never tried her in just a halter though
im probably forgetting something, but shes a really good girl ! shes about to turn 6 and i couldnt be happier with her =]
That's real nice, gypsygirl! :) My boy also just turned six, and I forgot to mention that he ground ties and loads himself in a trailer, just like your girl. :) I'm planning to start teaching him simple lead changes soon, but I have to find myself a trainer - I don't want to mess anything up, as I'm not that experienced to do that all by myself.
thats awesome !
i never thought that my horse would ever want to get into a trailer, because her first trailer ride was when she was shipped to me and she was crammed into a slant load trailer stall with another horse =/
do you have any pics of your boy ??
It's all about correct and positive reinforcement - I believe, that with such training almost all horses are soon willing to do anything eventually. :)
Yeah, I have some of his pics in my album, and also in these threads -
hes so cute !!
she never had any hesitation, but shes very noisy and curious and she trusts me and would probably follow me anywhere !
My girl can
free lunge/knows liberty
ground tie/ cross tie
leg yield & side pass
spin right but not to good left lol
ride in a rope halter and one lead rope bareback
come when whistled for
follow me on command
a TON of trail miles on her
hops right on the trailer <3
My 5 year old
Walks/ collected trot/ long trot/ canter/ collected canter/ gallop
pivots a full circle
Stops on command
Backs up on loose rein
follows without being lead
does pole bending
Only been to a few shows so far, but is already running placing times
leads and ties
will work on loading and unloading soon
Posted via Mobile Device
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:09 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.