The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Ideal horse property? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/ideal-horse-property-114870/)

OkieGal 03-01-2012 08:46 AM

Ideal horse property?

What do you consider ideal horse property, or where?

I plan on buying a house with 5-10 acres for my first home and I want your opinions on what kind of land I should be looking for. I won't be buying for a while as I'm joining the military and I'm looking to retire from it, so that's 20+ years away. Just trying to get some ideas. I know alot can change in that time frame.

Here in Oklahoma, it isn't too bad but I'd like to get out of a drought state and somewhere where hay prices aren't high.

Any input is welcome!
Posted via Mobile Device

hillside farm 03-01-2012 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OkieGal (Post 1386127)
What do you consider ideal horse property, or where?

I plan on buying a house with 5-10 acres for my first home and I want your opinions on what kind of land I should be looking for. I won't be buying for a while as I'm joining the military and I'm looking to retire from it, so that's 20+ years away. Just trying to get some ideas. I know alot can change in that time frame.

Here in Oklahoma, it isn't too bad but I'd like to get out of a drought state and somewhere where hay prices aren't high.

Any input is welcome!
Posted via Mobile Device

I would look for land in the midwest, I purchased a dairy farm with 1/2 the land available (160 acres with the out buildings ) so I could have pasture and put up my own crops (hay & corn ).
Check the soil type, local regulations, neighbors next to property, etc.
There are very few dairy farmers anymore, most are crop farmers now so hay is available and cheap, plenty of places to ride etc. taxes are reasonable, I pay under $1000.00 a year for the (4 )- 40 acre parcels.
Very few tornados unlike OK. & TX.
Good Luck :-)

equiniphile 03-01-2012 09:21 AM

Umm, this one:

4240 Pisgah Pike, Versailles KY 40383 | MLS# 1107228

Nah, in all seriousness, I like a barn with decent-sized stalls, room for an oudoor arena near the barn, and lots of pasture space. Here in Ohio, hay prices aren't too bad, but they start to get worse down south.

Speed Racer 03-01-2012 09:44 AM

Depends on where in the south, equiniphile. I'm in south central VA, and my hay prices are pretty darned reasonable. I'm getting 50-75 lb square bales for $3.50 each. :D

OkieGal 03-01-2012 09:56 AM

Speed Racer, I love your avatar! And I'm jealous that you have hay that cheap.

Good horse hay in squares is going $11-$14, and alfalfa is $12-$17 here!
Our round bales are just now inching under the $100 mark for medium quality hay.
I've seen $150+ for horse round bales. It's ridiculous!

Hillside Farm, the tornados? Goodness, I know!
Had one take out my barn last May. I've been uprooted since. I have to board my horses ever since then. Such a pain.

Equiniphile: YOU SO FUNNY. Haha. I wish.

But thanks for the input guys! I figured I'd be going north to look.

Kayella 03-01-2012 10:28 AM

Don't go to coastal Texas :lol: Hay is $15 a square bale for poor quality hay :/

OkieGal 03-01-2012 10:44 AM

'Ness! That's crazy!
Posted via Mobile Device

MangoRoX87 03-01-2012 10:47 AM

Anybody know how like Wyoming would be? Plenty of land up there, fo sho. Not sure how their hay market is though?

Delfina 03-01-2012 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 1386187)
Depends on where in the south, equiniphile. I'm in south central VA, and my hay prices are pretty darned reasonable. I'm getting 50-75 lb square bales for $3.50 each. :D

I don't like you any more. :cry:

STRAW is $5 a square bale here. Actual hay... uh.. in the double digits.

MissColors 03-01-2012 11:04 AM

In southern Maryland during the summer I can find it for 3.50 - 4 a bale. Right now though it think its like 8 a bale.