The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Barefoot for hard riding is it possible. (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/barefoot-hard-riding-possible-114910/)

spirit88 03-01-2012 03:53 PM

Barefoot for hard riding is it possible.

I would like my gelding to stay barefoot for the riding season problem is his feet wear off faster then they grow. I only trail ride six days a week 3 to 4 hours a day. The ground is rocky in places and just hard packed sand on most trails. We share the trails with four wheelers who rip around at full speed.Iv been having him shod all four and after seven weeks shoes are worn out like broke in half or paper thin. So would it even be possible to keep him barefoot or am iam just going to need shoes. We do alot of trotting i say out of three hour we spend two and half of that trotting. Our horses are super fit not an ounce of fat on them. My farrier says their what he calls racing fit or he calls them the lean mean running machines. Right now their not being riden much do to snow but in the next month or so we will be riding again.My gelding has good feet no cracks splits and they get trimed regular all year round summer every 7 weeks winter every 10 weeks.Sometimes in summer i have them done every 6 weeks because the shoes wear out. Any help would be nice thanks.

equiniphile 03-01-2012 03:58 PM

If the riding you do is wearing your shoes down that much, I wouldn't pull his shoes. One thing I would look into is Easy Boots, which encase the hoof to protect them from wear.

kevinshorses 03-01-2012 04:01 PM

You know your horse better than the rest of us but if you're wearing steel shoes out in 7 weeks you're going to have a hard time going barefoot. I shoe my horses for the same reason. I also don't like to have a horse that picks his way along and won't just go where he's pointed. I've not seen a barefoot horse that could go all day consistently in country with any kind of rock. You might be able to get a few hours per week out of one but not 6 days per week and several hour per day.

spirit88 03-01-2012 04:15 PM

So iam doomed to having shoes on him not sure hoof boots would hold up to good on our trails. Kevinshorses yeah i dont like my horse taking me in the brush to avoid the footing we tryed barefoot on the hind feet last summer. Had to have farrier back two weeks later his feet were worn down to nubs yeah farrier had a fun time getting shoes on.He put glue on shoes till he had hoof to nail shoes too. I really wish i could have him barefoot but probley wont happen.

BlueSpark 03-01-2012 04:21 PM

yeah, wow, not a good candidate for barefoot. the only horses we have barefoot for trails have good feet and are ridden 2-3 days a week, an hour per ride. our horses that we do 3-4 hour rides on all need shoes. unless you plan on changing the riding you do you need to keep shoes on. easy boots would be shredded in a month i would think.

kevinshorses 03-01-2012 04:24 PM

If you have a decent farrier then it's not bad for them. Properly applied shoes are not detrimental to a horses health.

spirit88 03-01-2012 04:30 PM

I just thought it would be nice but i will do the shoes i only pay 75$ for all four and 50$ to do fronts on my daughters horse. Asked my farrier about boots he didnt think they would last 7 weeks. My daughters horse has nice black hoofs only reason he needs front shoes is he has issues with the front feet. Hes barefoot behind and his hind feet hold up great. My horse has two white hoofs and two dark hoofs but they just arent that tough so shoes it is.

Walkamile 03-01-2012 04:33 PM

Doesn't sound like the boots would work. Think you're doing what's best for your horses with the shoeing. Can't ride em if they're too sore to move. :wink:

spirit88 03-01-2012 04:44 PM

Kevinshorses yes i have a great farrier and does a great job at keeping my horses sound and their feet healthy. If i have a problem he comes right out well at least as soon as he can hes super busy in the summer.Hes the first farrier who doesnt have my horses with underrun heels.Last farrier i had was horrible all three of my horses had terrible undrerun heels and long toes. Plus my old mare could hardly walk within two trims the farrier i have now had her walking sound again.

Joe4d 03-01-2012 08:18 PM

your farrier is clueless about boots, They all like to say they wont last. Total Hogwash. Boots last a long long time.