The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Help with vests (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/help-vests-114944/)

amp23 03-01-2012 09:21 PM

Help with vests

I'm looking into getting a protective vest right now, but I'm not sure what kind is best. Here are two that I'm really looking into.. What are yalls thoughts?

Charles Owen UltraLite Body Protector - Quality Tack at Outlet Prices - VTO Saddlery

Rodney Powell Elite Body Protector and Body Protectors | EQUESTRIAN COLLECTIONS.COM

I live in southeast georgia so it can get pretty hot and humid in the summer, and I can deal with being hot but I dont want to have to worry about dying from heat exhaustion. I do a good bit of jumping and I'm starting to do more as I get ready for showing this year. I mainly want something to help protect me from breaking something if I hit the ground or a jump.. Or a tree as one girl did.. Lol

Any input or other ideas of good vests are appreciated :) I do want something thats a little more form fitting and not super bulky. I was hoping not to pay more than about 150-175, but I am willing to pay more for better quality and protection.

amp23 03-02-2012 01:00 AM

Anyone have any experience with either of these?!?

kitten_Val 03-02-2012 10:16 AM

Charles Owen felt like a cardboard when I tried it in Dover. :) Never tried Rodney, but I've read good reviews about it. I myself have Woof, you can also look into Airowear. Both are very comfy.

This is my old thread: http://www.horseforum.com/english-ri...erience-96220/ (at least I don't look like a box on 2 legs in it LOL!).

amp23 03-02-2012 07:17 PM

Thanks, kitten! I actually kinda like that vest, so I will look into it more :)

SionTheMonster 03-03-2012 09:27 AM

It's quite pricey, but the Tipperary Eventing Vest is absolutely AWESOME as far as comfort goes. I'd never worn a vest before until I had to last summer when I went cross schooling for the first time. I was pleasantly surprised - I hardly noticed I had this thing on! Very comfortable, and you don't get too hot in it, either. :) If you can afford it, I'd definitely make the bit of a splurge and go with this one. I plan on buying myself one this summer!

Tipperary Eventer Body Protection Vest - Quality Tack at Outlet Prices - VTO Saddlery

legyield768 03-03-2012 09:44 AM

I have the Rodney and I love it. It was well worth the money. Yes, it was a little hot but it was mostly breathable. I felt as if it really "custom fit" to my body and as I grew length wise and waist line wise, it grew with me. I highly recommend it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Edit: I forgot to add it is certified by BETA 2009 Level 3, BSEN 13158 2009 Level 3 and ASTM F1937-98. Those are very good certfications.

amp23 03-03-2012 06:20 PM

How hot was the Rodney? I deal with 115* heat index some days :/ though I don't typically ride when it's that hot, but sometimes it's like that for days on end

legyield768 03-03-2012 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amp23 (Post 1390368)
How hot was the Rodney? I deal with 115* heat index some days :/ though I don't typically ride when it's that hot, but sometimes it's like that for days on end

It is warm but as long as you keep yourself hydrated you should be fine. It is very comfortable though and I think you should be okay. I know that it is definitely cooler than a lot of the other vests out there(believe me, I tried a ton before deciding on the Rodney).
Posted via Mobile Device

poppy1356 03-03-2012 07:42 PM

I have never tried any of those vests you mention they are way out of my price range but I love the flex rider vest under $100 and I have worn it in 90 degree weather. You sweat but I didn't die. Also stay far away from Tipperary they are NOT protective they do not meet any safety standards it is amazing how many people think they do. There's a reason they are the only ones that flex. Really it seems as long as the vest meets proper safety standards they are all really the same you just pay for the name. I wear my vest every time I ride you get used to the feel and adjust to how warm it makes you quite quickly.
Posted via Mobile Device

amp23 03-03-2012 08:30 PM

Yeah I'm not crazy about the Tipperary anyway, so I doub I'll go for a tipp vest. I think I may end up getting the Rodney- just have to figure out measurements and my size :)