The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   A Bit of Change (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/bit-change-114978/)

mudpie 03-02-2012 12:36 AM

A Bit of Change

Well, I just gone done running for an hour straight at about 4 miles an hour (I know it's a bit slow, but it's enough)...

What started all this was spending the weekend with Penny (My DC and friend) and Laurie (one of my trainers) at Laurie's rental house in Del Mar, working my butt off. I was in it for Mary's Tack and Feed, if you must know. ;) Anyways, I was talking to them and they figured out that I didn't know squat about food and so they enlightened me... Carbs, proteins, fats, etc. I got the whole run down. And Laurie talked about her niece, who's long-listed for the American Eventing team currently, and it got me thinking. My dreams, goals, ambitions, my life is all centered on riding, eventing, and it is infinitely important. So I decided that I needed to eat like an athlete because that's what I am: an athlete. I worry so much about Mudpie's diet... I guess I just haven't thought about my own.

For me, eating like an athlete means eating at all, really. I'll spare you the gory details, but everything's so broken and terrifying that I just don't eat... because it doesn't feel... I don't know... safe. Anyways, since I can't ride (my poor dear Mudpie) seriously right now, I decided to stay in shape another way... which is where running comes in. So I'll try to keep that one up...

Also, I haven't been to the dentist since I was about seven, even when a filling thing fell out a couple years ago. My mother... nevermind. So Laurie and Penny say that they're going to take me to the dentist to get my teeth all fixed up... which will be good. I'd like to get out of here at least physically intact...

Well, not that anyone cares, but I just thought I'd spew my nonsense somewhere. :\

SkyeDawn 03-02-2012 09:12 AM

Oh man, I hadn't been to the dentist in about 5 years or so (money, depression, abusive marriage, etc) and because of the circumstances my hygiene wasn't the best. I went to the dentist FINALLY and I had 10 cavities! My mouth is all fixed up now though, and it doesn't hurt to eat or drink anymore haha. You'll be so happy you went. :) Even if it sucks at the time.

And I'm with ya on the nutrition. I joke that my horses eat better than I do... but for real, they do. x)

I wish I could run like that. I can only bike, I get horrible shin splints if I try to run.

Any tips on the nutrition info they shared with you? :D

mudpie 03-02-2012 11:16 AM

:) They said to eat proteins (animal products like meat, milk, eggs, etc.) most and eat very little carbohydrates (bread, etc.) because they are processed into extra fats and stuff for use "when you need it" (i.e. If you're working out a lot and you need energy your body will take it from your fat stores). And they said to eat lots of fiber (fruits) because it helps things pass through your body healthily. And also to eat vegetables (also fiber-ish) and stuff so that you get the vitamins you need. But avoid greasy or fatty foods like bacon and lots of butter and stuff.

I found it really interesting... I'd never heard any of it before! But they're just domesticating me now. xD

I haven't been to the dentist in 10 years. They were like, "You make sure your horse gets his teeth done every single year – you have to take care of your teeth, too!" And I didn't know how to floss... xD Meh, I guess I'm quite something!