The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack Reviews (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-reviews/)
-   -   vintage saddles (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-reviews/vintage-saddles-115009/)

Missy May 03-02-2012 12:00 PM

vintage saddles
 
A while back I bought a vintage western saddle by maker Shirley Brown. I bought it b/c it had an arab tree. Although my mare is not arab, she has an "arab back". I didn't need a new saddle, and I don't particularly like "a forks", which it has...but the price was just toooo hard to pass up. And, it fit my "country of origin" criterian for a western saddle- made in the USA. It was in incredible condition for its age (they said around 60 years and had reportedly been stored for decades). It looks more like 5-10 years old...must have been really, really well cared for. I thought, what the heck, I will give it a whirl.

Anywho, it is a fantastic saddle! It is super well made, very comfy. The skirt is a little long front to back for a real short backed horse , but that doesn't detract from its quality. Super nice sheep skin lining (could have been refleeced, its in xlnt condition). The leather quality is superb. They do not make these anymore....but I think older "vintage saddles" in general are worth a look!!!!

loveduffy 03-02-2012 12:42 PM

I agree with you I have a few and they are make very well I do not use them that much because I love the old look but every so often I take them out for a ride a wonder were this saddle has been

kevinshorses 03-02-2012 02:42 PM

Well post some pictures!! That's why I clicked on this thread in the first place.

Lockwood 03-02-2012 03:04 PM

I have an old vintage saddle, but the reason for my reply is-
I recently found a new-ish tack store in my area. Because it is winter it wasn't too busy when I went and the owner took me to the back of the large store and let me view her collection of vintage saddles.
Auh-May-Zing!!
She probably had over 150 vintage saddles. Many dating all the way back to about 1875.
Old timey western working saddles, a lot of calvery saddles, very fancy saddles from Spain and Europe, proper ladie's side saddles, Vaquero (sp?) saddles, trick saddles, movie saddles.. there was so much to look at!
I bet every single saddle had such an interesting story to tell.

What struck me the most, was that over 85% of the really old saddles were about as wide as a child's rocking horse. The trees were so narrow and long, I could barely imagine being able to fit them on anything beyond a super duper skinny TB.

Anyway, were you able to get any back story on your saddle?

Saddlebag 03-02-2012 04:20 PM

Lockwood, the average boot size on the early cowboys was 6, many of then around 5'6 or less and slim. Many rode what we call ponies, 14.2 and under and were of a slim build. A 13" seat was common.

Missy May 03-02-2012 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lockwood (Post 1388746)
I have an old vintage saddle, but the reason for my reply is-
I recently found a new-ish tack store in my area. Because it is winter it wasn't too busy when I went and the owner took me to the back of the large store and let me view her collection of vintage saddles.
Auh-May-Zing!!
She probably had over 150 vintage saddles. Many dating all the way back to about 1875.
Old timey western working saddles, a lot of calvery saddles, very fancy saddles from Spain and Europe, proper ladie's side saddles, Vaquero (sp?) saddles, trick saddles, movie saddles.. there was so much to look at!
I bet every single saddle had such an interesting story to tell.

What struck me the most, was that over 85% of the really old saddles were about as wide as a child's rocking horse. The trees were so narrow and long, I could barely imagine being able to fit them on anything beyond a super duper skinny TB.

Anyway, were you able to get any back story on your saddle?

Wow, neat!!!!!!!!!!!! What a great experience...to look at so many in one place at one time!

No- unfortunately no history. Just that it had been in storage for umteen million years.

But, I know what you mean about the really old saddles, many have a really small seat....it was the poor nutrition back then. :D

Sometimes I think I could go "saddle poor" if I were "turned loose" on saddle-marts of the world! I own too many as it is. So, I try to stay away!

Missy May 03-02-2012 05:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinshorses (Post 1388723)
Well post some pictures!! That's why I clicked on this thread in the first place.

Okay, you made me feel bad! I would like you to know it is super windy and I had to drag this inside to get the best photo I can w my cell! A good camera would be wasted on me! I didn't get the horn...which is the biggest cap I have ever seen, but its the best I could do! Assuming this works, that is.

VT Trail Trotters 03-02-2012 09:57 PM

Ohhhh nice saddle the leather work looks great.

Allison Finch 03-02-2012 10:20 PM

Hey, vintage saddle lovers, I have one for sale. It is a Hope saddle circa 1800's. The saddle has been rebuilt on the original tree.

Saddle without the Mochilla

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...utmochilla.jpg

Saddle with Mochilla on

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...pommelbags.jpg

Saddle with Mochills and saddle/pommel bags

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...lewithbags.jpg

Underside

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...ddlefleece.jpg

detail

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...illadetail.jpg

It comes with old style martingale and a bridle

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...tylebridle.jpg

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...itandreins.jpg

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...martingale.jpg

It even comes with old style stirrups that predate bentwood

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...rupscutout.jpg

Anyone interested?

Evansk 03-03-2012 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allison Finch (Post 1389374)
Hey, vintage saddle lovers, I have one for sale. It is a Hope saddle circa 1800's. The saddle has been rebuilt on the original tree.

Saddle without the Mochilla

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...utmochilla.jpg

Saddle with Mochilla on

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...pommelbags.jpg

Saddle with Mochills and saddle/pommel bags

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...lewithbags.jpg

Underside

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...ddlefleece.jpg

detail

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...illadetail.jpg

It comes with old style martingale and a bridle

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...tylebridle.jpg

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...itandreins.jpg

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...martingale.jpg

It even comes with old style stirrups that predate bentwood

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...rupscutout.jpg

Anyone interested?


That saddle is sooo cool....


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0