The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Today my horse killed another horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/today-my-horse-killed-another-horse-115071/)

FWDequine 03-03-2012 01:39 AM

Today my horse killed another horse

I have been reading this forum for awhile, but never posted anything until today. Today I feel INCREDIBLE sadness as I found out that my horse chased, cornered, attacked and killed my brother's mare. In the past, at other barns he would try to attack other horses, so eventually he was placed in his own paddock. My brother who lives out of state offered to bring him to his farm to enjoy the huge beautiful pastures that he has. After some time, my brother decided to place him with several of his mares in a large pasture-no problems at all for over a year until today. I bought this horse about 6 years ago. He was a rescue horse-a Saddlebred. As far as riding...he had a "switch"- really good or really bad. Over the years that I owned him, his behavior while riding improved overall. A horse killing anther horse...I have never heard of this...this is so abnormal. I love this horse so much, but I am afraid he could hurt someone. This is a terrible situation. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Allison Finch 03-03-2012 01:56 AM

Welcome to the forum. Too bad it is for such a sad reason.

Yes, I have heard of similar situations. There was a saddle mule that we used for our pack trips. He was extremely aggressive towards foals and actually killed a couple of good Belgian draft foals. He jumped a fence into a neighboring ranchers field where they were.

It is not unknown for there to be aggression issues between mares and geldings. That is a reason most farms keep them in separate pastures. Usually the aggression stops at a certain point...but not always. Sorry.

Oxer 03-03-2012 02:00 AM

yikes! There is something particularly scary when a prey animal becomes predatory. I'm interested to see what the veteran horse folks have to say about this....

Arielle 03-03-2012 02:05 AM

That sounds awful! I would say start bringing him near other, more superior horse and have him get used to not being on the top of the bunch and maybe his attitude will change. I would also maybe after a while of being around more horses have him on a long lead around another horse in a large area and watch his reaction. Try to correct him when he is being mean and aggresive to other horses. Be sure you are with other people if anything goes wrong. It sounds like he has maybe been in a bad situation with another horse and in acting in self defense. With that attitude he may hurt someone or even himself. Ask your vet, maybe he has a better answer. I am sorry about the mare that is really, really sad.

arrowsaway 03-03-2012 02:07 AM

I, too, would be afraid that he would hurt someone, since he has proven himself to be so dangerous.

I wish I could offer more insight, but I have no experience with such a situation. I just thought I would offer my condolences. This must be very difficult for you. Stay strong.

FWDequine 03-03-2012 02:10 AM

Well...my brother is an equine vet. He says if it was his horse he would put him down.

gingerscout 03-03-2012 02:13 AM

Im sad to say a lot of vets would probably recommedn putting them down, i know in similar cases I have read about on forums that is a huge red flag and a lot of people say maybe put them down.. I know it sounds like a harsh option, but if its something you cant work through, or the horse is that unstable it may be an option, sometimes it can be worked through with training, or observation and see whats going on, but other times you cant

Kayty 03-03-2012 02:30 AM

I am very sorry to hear this.
Though I must agree with your brother. I think, for your sake, your horses' sake, and the safety of those around the horse in question, human or animal, putting him down may be the kindest option for all concerned. I would be worried about putting him in with any horse, even another very dominant horse - which could spell disaster with both horses fighting it out to the death. But keeping him on his own is not fair on him.
Hence the consideration of putting him down.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do.

Joe4d 03-03-2012 03:00 AM

BB's
Bullet, backhoe.
Something isnt right with that horse gonna be a person next.

Stan 03-03-2012 04:52 AM

All animals have there rouges Just look at the human species. Some we control with drugs, some we lock up. All species have there nut cases and as the animal at the top of the list we have the power to destroy or to save. Some can not be saved and then the hard decisions have to be made, sometimes before further harm is done. The animal that chases, corners, and kills needs to be put down for the safety of all.