The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Is one time chiropractor visit worth it? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/one-time-chiropractor-visit-worth-115072/)

JoesLove 03-03-2012 12:41 AM

Is one time chiropractor visit worth it?

So the chiropractor is coming out on march 12th and I am considering getting my horse seen. He started back to training 2 weeks ago, we're now working on dressage, I'm completely switching over, we usually ride hunt seat(only on the flat, i hate to jump), but the past year I havent seriously ridden, just putzd around. Of course right now it's all basics, but he is getting a work out thats for sure! He is more stiff to one side, his neck has been stiff, and he seems a little stiff in the hind somewhere, which I am putting him on a joint supplement per recommendation by my trainer, until I get the chance to talk to my vet about possible mild arthritis ( and if he does have it, it is very very mild as he is not lame or anything just slightly stiff and the past year doesn't like to hold his leg up as high, he will pull it away). So anyways, is it worth it to pay a chiropractor to come out even if its just once this year? I'm thinking it is but I want to know everyone elses opinions. Unfortunately, this guy charges depending on what the horse needs, not just one flat fee. So if he needs a bunch of adjustments it will probably be $300, but if it helps him, it will be worth it. Any advice appreciated!!

yourcolorfuladdiction 03-03-2012 03:45 PM

So chiropractors don't tend to be just a "one time" thing. If the chiropractor adjusts ANYTHING, it will eventually "go back" to how it was due to muscle memory and even possibly how he's being ridden. So chiropractic visits tend to be an ongoing thing.

It's really up to you, just like people, some people believe in them, and some don't. I tend to think they can be helpful as supplementary treatment for a hard working horse but I don't think they're a "cure all" like some people do.

So honestly the decision is up to you, if you think it might help, go ahead and let the chiro take a look, but realize if he does find something wrong, it will take more than one visit to fix it.

COWCHICK77 03-03-2012 07:56 PM

My chiro claims that if he has to come out gain soon(of course depending on the severity of the case and the amount of adjustment need) that there is another problem that is contributing to the misalignment.
And so far he has been right...the horses(not my personal horses, but others I was paid to ride) that needed a an adjustment again he had me haul to the vet(my vet of choice, no set up with a vet he works with) and there has been a deeper issue that wouldn't of been solved by chiropractic by itself.

So I would try the chiropractor and see what happens...

CecilliaB 03-03-2012 08:16 PM

I believe in chiropractors...I am trying to find one in my area who I believe will do a good job on my horses. I had back problems as a kid and actually can adjust my own back and hips as well as any chiropractor. I can tell you that there is serious relief but I re-adjust myself weekly and I can feel when I need it.

JoesLove 03-03-2012 10:11 PM

Thank you so much for the replies everyone! The only reason I asked if it is worthwhile to do once is the closest reputable chiropractor here that isn't going to mess your horse up is over an hour away, and we have to have a certain number of people before he comes out, so they usually bring him around 1-2 times a year maximum. Also, I am moving back to my home state of FL at the end of the year, so not sure when I can get him looked at again. I think with these reviews I will get him looked at as it seems worth it. I had him done when i first got him but I was working so didn't get to watch, plus since I had just had him a month I couldn't tell a difference. I think now I will be able to notice a difference so I am going to at least give it a try!

CLaPorte432 03-03-2012 10:49 PM

Oh I would absolutely try it! I just had my mare adjusted for the first time yesterday and she LOVED it. You could tell she was sore is some spots and the chiropractor gave me a list of stretches and exercises to do daily with her to get her more flexible and able to use her body better. My mare wasn't terribly bad and had minor adjustments. Her withers were "out" from me mounting from the ground for years upon years. And her next is not flexible so she adjusted her there too.

I definitely say go for it. I know how good I feel after a chiropractor visit. :-)

JoesLove 03-03-2012 11:04 PM

I've never been to the chiropractor, maybe if I had been I would really realize how great it is. Im glad yours helped your horse so much claporte, I feel so much more confident, I hope mine shows me stretches/exercises, I definitely have to get him loosened up some!

waresbear 03-03-2012 11:27 PM

My equine chiro always comes out twice, intial adjustment, massage. 2 weeks she is back to access & any needed adjustments, she will let you know if you have an underlying problem, she diagnosises lameness better than my vet & farrier combined, been using her for 20 years now.

Joe4d 03-04-2012 06:05 AM

of course they are gonna say they need to keep coming back, once they have a mark they are gonna keep hitting you up.

SkyeDawn 03-04-2012 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe4d (Post 1391025)
of course they are gonna say they need to keep coming back, once they have a mark they are gonna keep hitting you up.

This is kind of harsh and not very helpful. :/

As for me, I have never used one, but I am interested in using one. However, I am of the same mind that if something needs adjusted, there is probably an underlying issue. Not always, but usually. A mare at our barn is incredibly sore, and will continue to need work as long as her rider keeps using an ill fitting saddle. It would bring relief to your horse, but it will not fix the problem. Same as with people.