The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   Whats out there for training programs? (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/whats-out-there-training-programs-115094/)

Dunroamin 03-03-2012 09:59 AM

Whats out there for training programs?

I have been reading about a program (horse training academy) in Minnesota where the rider and horse attend for three weeks to learn general "Horsemanship" skills. This might be what I need to gain skills, knowledge, confidence and "respect" from my horse and vise versa...... but it is so far away (a long 17 hours for me and my mare; not to mention crossing a border into the states...probably not an issue ) Albeit, references have been good. I was wondering if any one else knows of good programs like it in Ontario or some where closer? .....where rider and horse stay to live, learn and adapt to each other over a ~~three week span? Sorta like a crash course to education and work with an expert.. my area does not have such a program so need outside awareness... any ideas

Jolly Badger 03-04-2012 06:44 PM

Just out of curiosity. . .why would you want a "crash course" as opposed to finding a legitimate local trainer who would work with you and your horse weekly or bi-weekly, give you some ideas on things to work on, and help you make progress over a longer amount of time?

Dunroamin 03-04-2012 09:39 PM

I am a lone rider so by myself I find getting comfortable riding my horse is not easy...,yes I am going to lessons locally. I trailer my mare to a trainer but that's once a week.. and yes I work her during the week... but feel more relaxed in the arena with trainer .. there is nothing around where I can be totally absorbed ... .. I thought the crash course would provide me the opportunity to be totally exposed to the horse environment and get to know my new horse in a "safe" place. I understood he is a well known trainer...

I know I need to work on my nerves more than the horse ... I just love to be around her but when I am on her I get very anxious (had a bad fall off another horse) and dont want to give into my nerves.. I thought something like three weeks of riding/training would help... just wished it was closer to where I live as other places dont provide that kind of exposure... ... Thanks for replying.

Jolly Badger 03-05-2012 12:50 PM

Are there any riding/saddle clubs in your area you could join up with to go riding on weekends and just spend time around other people and horses?

I've found that, for the most part, horse people are a friendly and helpful bunch. Just seeing how other people ride and work with their horses may help or inspire you to try new things.

They don't want to see you or your horse get hurt, they love riding and enjoy spending time with other people who like it. It's also nice to know "horse people" in the area in case you need a phone number for a farrier, vet, or some other service or supplier.

Ian McDonald 03-05-2012 01:13 PM

Personally, I'd love to attend Martin Black's Alvord Ranch school. A month on the ranch learning all the ropes and riding every day under the guidance of Martin and his crew. That's a little bit out of the immediate area of Ontario though.

mls 03-05-2012 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunroamin (Post 1389809)
I have been reading about a program (horse training academy) in Minnesota where the rider and horse attend for three weeks to learn general "Horsemanship" skills.

Unless they have changed their classes - the 'academy' is more trick training than anything.

Dunroamin 03-07-2012 07:55 PM

Thanks Jolly Badger.. I have not found any clubs per say for my age group… unless I board my horse.. we have the facilities to keep her here so prefer not to add onto the expense.. Occasionally there are fall fairs parades and Christmas parades where people gather with their horses.. I will ask the farrier when he comes.. that might work.. good idea!
Ian I tried to Google the name you provided.. Martin Black's Alvord Ranch School. The program title does not bring up any web site. about horses per say that I can access . Although I sense it’s a vacation journey without my mare..
MLS: have you been to the academy ? They do teach how to train tricks but from their site they also will teach how to train a horse in the basics i.e. neck reining, backing-up, sliding stop, halter training, gentling, sacking, controlled and free longing, bitting, and flexing. My mare is well broke but not well trained.. I know some of these basics but just being in the environment I think would be good for me… just would prefer something closer and not have to cross the border…

FrancesB 03-13-2012 08:29 AM

Hi Dunroamin, another thing you might like to check out is Friendship Training - (Friendship Training) It is a bit of a different approach but it has made the most amazing difference to my relationship with my gelding Jerry. We are communicating much better and my nerves have completely gone away.

Regards
Frances