The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Cutting and Team Penning (http://www.horseforum.com/cutting-team-penning/)
-   -   Penning (http://www.horseforum.com/cutting-team-penning/penning-115098/)

Cmurdock57 03-03-2012 11:04 AM

Penning
 
Is there any kind of practice for penning if you don't have access to cattle? This may sound stupid to some people because the cattle are probably the key factor to penning.

Thanks guys!

rob 04-16-2012 01:26 PM

cm,the best thing to do without cattle is keep your dry work tuned up.lope,stop,rock back and do alot of rollbacks.sidepass.just keep him on his toes and thinking all the time.

PaintHorseMares 04-16-2012 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob (Post 1457188)
cm,the best thing to do without cattle is keep your dry work tuned up.lope,stop,rock back and do alot of rollbacks.sidepass.just keep him on his toes and thinking all the time.

Yes. We do a lot of stop-to-lope, lope-to-stop, and rollbacks.

mls 04-16-2012 03:22 PM

You can also use do flag work. Intended more for cutting but it does help with the tracking, sweep and getting the horse agile off their hind quarters.

rob 04-17-2012 12:15 AM

cm,do you have access to a flag or a mechanical cow?

cowboy bowhunter 04-18-2012 12:34 PM

You can get your horse soft to the bit and your spurs. You want them to move and move fast when asked. When you pull on the right rein you want them to jump back to the right like a roll back. Just work on getting your horse soft and moving fast.

Beling 04-21-2012 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cmurdock57 (Post 1389850)
Is there any kind of practice for penning if you don't have access to cattle? This may sound stupid to some people because the cattle are probably the key factor to penning.

Thanks guys!

I feel your frustration! I gave up on ever improving, but still. . .
so I asked my friend if he'd be a "cow" for me---that didn't amuse him. . . It was fun. But I'm afraid of my pushy little horse getting the wrong idea of her place with us humans!

WHAT is FLAG work????

Endiku 04-24-2012 10:39 AM

We use large male goats when we don't have access to cattle XD

cowboy bowhunter 04-24-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beling (Post 1465055)
I feel your frustration! I gave up on ever improving, but still. . .
so I asked my friend if he'd be a "cow" for me---that didn't amuse him. . . It was fun. But I'm afraid of my pushy little horse getting the wrong idea of her place with us humans!

WHAT is FLAG work????


You have a flag (could be a shirt, feed bag or anything) on a rope that goes from a pully on one end to a oject that moves the flag.( is use a old excersize bike that someone rides and it makes the flag go back and forth.) or you can use a "CowTrac" Look it up on line it will explain it better.

Beling 04-26-2012 09:30 PM

Thanks, all! You got me watching videos on YouTube and wow, what I didn't know I didn't know about cutting!

See, my only experience with cutting was once many, many years ago. I'd finished my ride (in the arena, English tack) and was watching the boys (not real cowboys) "help" the rancher move a herd from one field to another. I stood a ways back from the path they followed, most of the herd in front, and while I was enjoying the beautiful scenery and weather, my QH was watching the cows. Suddenly I was airborne and it was only by a lucky grab of mane that I stayed in the saddle, because a calf had darted out from the herd, wanting to head back to the stragglers, and my horse "cut" him off, and got the calf back where he belonged. So without thinking about it, from then on I've believed cutting was natural to some horses, not something you taught, and that you needed cattle just so they could learn to read them, so to speak.

So how could a horse learn to work cattle by following a diaper? Ha ha! Not that I'm going to be cutting, that's a really difficult sport! I think I'll work to get my horse sharper on her responses, since we'll just be doing sorting, and if I can avoid embarrassing myself, and disappointing my partners, I'll be happy.

(But I'm still hoping my horse will learn this game herself, so I can just go along for the ride!:D)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0