The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   My family thinks I should take a break (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/my-family-thinks-i-should-take-115099/)

Hidalgo13 03-03-2012 10:13 AM

My family thinks I should take a break

Next year, or more like this September, I'll be going into Cegep. For those who don't know what it is, in Quebec we have less years of high school and do a 2 year program after it to get into university. So 6 year of elementary, 5 years of high school, 2 years of cegep, and uni. :D

Now I'm not sure where I am going yet. I applied to two places for health sciences which will permit me to have a career in health care. However, that program is rather intensive. It's not really that bad at one of the public Cegeps I applied to, but at the other private Cegep, the program is apparently excellent and they prepare you extremely well, but it's apparently hell. I am tempted to take the easy Cegep, but I have a gut feeling I should go to the harder one because I'll get a better outcome in the end (a.k.a I'll be much more prepared for uni).

My family thinks though I should stop riding. Take a break so I can concentrate on my studies. I CAN'T THOUGH. Riding is my only physical activity/hobby (beside occasionally playing music) and I'd go crazy if I stopped completely for a year. I also know my grades would plunder, because the reason I get such high marks now are because of riding. I was unable to concentrate in school before, now I can.

I doubt I'll stop completely, maybe I won't have as much time to ride (although I don't see how I could ride less often as I don't ride very often as it is), but what did you do when you were my age? Did you take a break? Did you find time?

I personally hope I can find time. If it means I won't be able to go to parties very often, so be it.

mildot 03-03-2012 11:11 AM

Who is paying for CEGEP and university?

If it's them to any significant degree (enough that if they don't pay you can't afford it) then you may well have to listen to them.

If it's you, then who cares what they think? Particularly so if you are legally an adult by Quebec's law.

For the record, I attended a military academy for university here in the US. I had four years of intense military, physical, and academic (engineering + liberal arts) demands placed on my time and I found how to make it all work and succeed.

It only takes physical and mental discipline.

Hidalgo13 03-03-2012 04:50 PM

Quote:

If it's them to any significant degree (enough that if they don't pay you can't afford it) then you may well have to listen to them.
It is them. Me and my sisters are lucky enough that they took the trouble to put the money away.

Thing is, my dad is telling me the same now; that I should ride less often, think less about horses, and study more. But I ride every 2-4 weeks and have a 90 average. My dad, (I'm regretfully the same, probably where I got it from) is a terrible worrywart. He fears when I get to Cegep, since classes are not 8:00 to 3:00 like in high school, I will go crazy with the extra freedom and ride all the time.

1. I am not so careless.
2. I don't have the money anyways. (though if I did, I admit I'd ride more often) ;)

My mom, she knows I am responsible and don't need telling when I have time to ride or not. My eldest sister, she got on the: Oh, you shouldn't ride, you'll have no time. Thing is, in university, she took swing dancing lessons and went out almost every week. She didn't exactly fail.

My dad won't get mad or force me to ride less often. He just keeps reminding me of it, hoping I'll stop riding and use my money on other things. He still thinks I am goign through a horsey phase. ;) I just got really mad when my sister started rambling on how I shouldn't ride at all, all school year, because her of all people, should understand.

There... my venting is over.

skyhorse1999 03-03-2012 06:54 PM

wait a second, how would you take a break from riding when you have your own horse? thats something to think about.

Hidalgo13 03-03-2012 07:06 PM

Quote:

wait a second, how would you take a break from riding when you have your own horse? That's something to think about.
Woah, haha no I don't have my own horse. Sorry it's because I put my favorite school horse x factor in the "my horse section"... should probably get him out of there. Not the first time it has brought confusion. Though I'd love it if he was mine. :)

skyhorse1999 03-03-2012 09:29 PM

Haha ya sorry...i did that with my fave school horse no shame:lol:! haha anyway i think that you just need to thinnk about howmuch you care babout the horses and how they compare to the other things in your life. the right thing will always happpen:) you could also just ride less like once a month or something if you dont want to give it up:) hope it helps sry about the confusion:-P

Hidalgo13 03-03-2012 09:35 PM

It's all right. ;) Thanks for the few words. I know things will work out, as I've never had a problem organizing my time, just wished my family understood or had more faith in me. I wouldn't ride if it became a nuisance to my studies, ya know? :/ I'm not that stupid, to ruin my grades and future because I want to ride or be at the barn all the time.

mildot 03-03-2012 10:57 PM

Your dad is a worrywart. You think you can handle your course load and still put in the riding. So, prove him wrong by doing it.

Until then, this is an academic discussion.

mom2pride 03-03-2012 11:29 PM

I always have to 'gently remind' my husband at times that "there were horses before you, there will be horses with you, and there will be horses after you"...he's kind of getting it after 6 years. But to some, horses just aren't 'that' important. To me, horses are a huge part of my life, to my husband, they aren't, and probably never will be...he supports me, but they just aren't his thing.

I think if you "need" horses in your life, you will figure out a way, and your dad will eventually understand; perhaps he won't understand the depth of what horses do for you, but he will atleast understand that they are important enough that you are willing to sacrifice other things in order to continue being with them.

Hidalgo13 03-04-2012 07:33 AM

Thank you both, it's what I needed to hear. :)