The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   How to do tracings for saddle fit? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/how-do-tracings-saddle-fit-115177/)

petitepyromaniac 03-03-2012 10:41 PM

How to do tracings for saddle fit?

I have a new horse (a little QH mare) and I'm not sure if she needs a medium tree, a wide tree, or something inbetween. Is there a way I can tell without having the saddle in person to try on her? Also, I hear about "tracings"... I'm not sure what that is, but it sounds helpful.

I grew up in a world where "medium fits all", so I should know things like this, I don't :-|

Sorry if this has been asked a lot- I've been gone for a while.

unclearthur 03-04-2012 08:45 AM

It's explained pretty well in the sticky 'Saddle Fit' post but let me know if you get stuck.

Cavalrytales Blog

kitten_Val 03-04-2012 11:03 AM

Instructional Video: How To Do A Back/Wither Tracing

(and just check the whole "Saddle Fitting" section there).

petitepyromaniac 03-04-2012 10:42 PM

Thank you! And Kitten_Val, thanks for posting that link. That helped me with a spot I was unclear on. I do have a few more questions though...

From the first tracing (the one by the scapula), you go 3" down from the highest point, measure it accross, and that tells you how wide of a gullet you need, right? How do I know what inches equal a standard medium, medium wide, or wide tree?

Second, I know horses vary as far as flat backs or 'bendy' backs (trace T18 in the video). What's the cut-off though? If a horse has a sway back, it's obvious. But other than that, they all look kind of average to me... So even if I have that tracing, I'm not sure if I should be looking for a saddle known to have flat or curved pannels.

And lastly, if a horse has a really short back, what do you do? I usually ride in a 17", but I thought about getting a 17.5" so there's more room for my long upper leg. I'm worried that might be too big....

Lockwood 03-04-2012 11:12 PM

My new gelding has a super short back and I had the same concerns.
I found this video (as well as others on their website) to be really helpful in the "How long is too long?" side of saddle fitting.

I didn't check the other listed videos so if this is a duplicate, I apologize.

unclearthur 03-05-2012 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petitepyromaniac (Post 1392220)

From the first tracing (the one by the scapula), you go 3" down from the highest point, measure it accross, and that tells you how wide of a gullet you need, right? How do I know what inches equal a standard medium, medium wide, or wide tree?

Second, I know horses vary as far as flat backs or 'bendy' backs (trace T18 in the video). What's the cut-off though? If a horse has a sway back, it's obvious. But other than that, they all look kind of average to me... So even if I have that tracing, I'm not sure if I should be looking for a saddle known to have flat or curved pannels.

And lastly, if a horse has a really short back, what do you do? I usually ride in a 17", but I thought about getting a 17.5" so there's more room for my long upper leg. I'm worried that might be too big....

1. No. This is a myth.

2. Ask the retailer. Problem is half of them are clueless.

3. It depends on the panel length. Strictly speaking you shouldn't go past the last rib (T18). Short backs and bigger riders are often a problem, but shorter usually means stronger so you can go past the end rib up to an inch in a lot of instances, in my view.

Bear in mind it's impossible to judge with any accuracy without seeing saddle and horse and rider.

kitten_Val 03-05-2012 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petitepyromaniac (Post 1392220)

The big problem I run into when looking for dressage (and then jumping) saddle was medium/wide/narrow definition is different for different saddle makers. :-) I have medium Thornhill, medium Collegiate I sold was a good fit too, however my MT is wide (the medium one is WAY too narrow).

What you can do is to take measurements and contact Trumbull Mountains for recommendations (you'll have to scan and email them the tracings). I dealt with them before, and they are very nice and come up with good recommendations.