The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Get to add some new skills to my bag of tricks! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/get-add-some-new-skills-my-115267/)

MHFoundation Quarters 03-04-2012 07:48 PM

Get to add some new skills to my bag of tricks!

So I'm pretty stoked right now. I've done a lot of colt starting and finish work on wp & show trail horses but haven't extended myself beyond that.

Starting next weekend, I have a new mentor. He is a family friend that hasn't rode for the public in many years due to injuries. He was apprenticing under NRHA hall of famers before I was born. My mom ran into him while shopping out of town and they got talking horses. He said he kind of missed training but his body just can't handle riding everyday.

Long story short, so he can get his training fix, he will be giving me training lessons for reining finish work. He plans to ride once a week, then watch me mimic the same lesson - me work on that lesson for a week, then revisit the next week.

I'm very excited for the chance to learn something new and something I love. I've ridden & shown reiners since I was a teen but they were always sent out for finishing. I have my fingers crossed that I can live up to his expectations!

equiniphile 03-04-2012 07:56 PM

Congrats!! You'll have to let us know how it goes; it sounds like a blast.

MHFoundation Quarters 03-04-2012 08:11 PM

Thanks! I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.

franknbeans 03-04-2012 08:19 PM

Congrats! Keep us posted!

tinyliny 03-04-2012 08:42 PM

I envy you! That is really exciting. I hope it's beneficial for the both of you.

DrumRunner 03-04-2012 08:47 PM

So jealous! I know you'll do awesome. Congrats!

MHFoundation Quarters 03-04-2012 08:48 PM

Thanks ladies! I've no doubt it will be beneficial for me Caroline, I just hope it is for him as well.

Woodstock gets to be the guinea pig, so at least if I botch it up, it's my own horse :lol:

Walkamile 03-04-2012 09:01 PM

Sounds like a wonderful opportunity! Let us know how it all goes so we can live a bit through you! :wink:

DrumRunner 03-04-2012 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MHFoundation Quarters (Post 1392010)

Woodstock gets to be the guinea pig, so at least if I botch it up, it's my own horse :lol:

Laugh!! Now I HAVE to know how this goes! Poor fatty..I bet you both will you fabulous!

MHFoundation Quarters 03-04-2012 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrumRunner (Post 1392083)
Laugh!! Now I HAVE to know how this goes! Poor fatty..I bet you both will you fabulous!

:lol: Hey now! Ol' Fatty McFatterson is losing, got to take his girth up a notch a few days ago :-P