The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Very upset, need help/to vent (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/very-upset-need-help-vent-115355/)

M2twisted 03-05-2012 02:00 PM

Very upset, need help/to vent

Oh boy....
A friend of mine fell off a horse (not hers) and was pretty badly hurt. So I have been taking care of her horse. Last weekend we couldn't catch him from turnout for 3 days. He did lots of running from us, and it was muddy and snowy. We finally catch him and give him several days off, can't find any swelling, cuts or anything. The week before, the vet had the farrier change the way he is being shod. So after all this trouble catching him, I talked with the head trainer at the barn and we thought some "join up" kinda round pen work would be good. We worked with him on Saturday and he just ran and snorted and it took forever just to get him the round pen. Tried again yesterday and again he ran all dumb and finally caught him and me and my friend just think this isn't for him, something is upSetting him. Well when I walked him out of the round pen he was really lame! Turns out he hurt some ligaments... I feel like this is all my fault, she will hate me now. Everyone will think I'm a bad person, etc etc. I am so upset that this happened. I don't know what to do. Am I at fault? She tried working with me and him in the round pen, she was aware of this, and now he is hurt, on stall rest for at least a month... I have been cryIng a lot. I would never do this on propose!
Posted via Mobile Device

tinyliny 03-05-2012 02:23 PM

I would have done just as you did; work horse in round pen if he is being difficult to catch and other issues. HOrse can get hurt anytime, anywhere. Just happens. But, if your hurt friend cannot care for the horse on stall rest, I suppose you will need to volunteer, as well you would be expected to do.

HanginH 03-05-2012 04:53 PM

I wouldn't worry to much. Stuff happens and he could have easily hurt himself with out you being around even. One of my best heel horses tore all his left hip muscles just coming in for feed one winter. I know how you feel and can imagine you feel terrible but doesn't sound like you did anything that would have caused him to get hurt.

Good luck.