The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack Reviews (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-reviews/)
-   -   Getting my first saddle what should i get? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-reviews/getting-my-first-saddle-what-should-115358/)

Equinegirl12 03-05-2012 03:56 PM

Getting my first saddle what should i get?

Hi i am getting my first horse and we are trying to find a saddle. I ride English. I would mostly be doing trail and a little bit of jumping. We can't afford an expensive saddle. Thank You

Dressage10135 03-05-2012 04:02 PM

Wait until you get a horse before buying yourself a saddle. Unfortunately saddles aren't a "one size fits all" deal. As far as what type of saddle to get.. from the sounds of what you will be doing you might look into an all purpose. They are typically a good bet for trails and popping over a few small jumps. However, if you want to start doing a specific discipline (like jumping, dressage, etc) then look for a saddle that suits that better. You can always trail ride in a jump saddle but can't really ride dressage in one (and vice versa).

Ink 03-05-2012 04:34 PM

Amen to the above post. I got two saddles before I purchased my horse and neither one of them fit!

I like a nice close contact saddle for general purpose English riding. Once you have your horse and you know about what size tree you'll need, look into a good quality used saddle. Collegiates are nice starter saddles that won't break the bank. You can easily find them used for under $500.

calicokatt 03-05-2012 05:22 PM

I really love my Stubbens, but I know a lot of people who don't like them. Until you get your horse, I would suggest trying out as many saddles as you can to find a seat that feels good to you. Once you get your horse, see if one of the saddles you tried that felt most comfortable is available in a size that will fit your horse. If it is, good used saddles are going relatively cheaply right now. :)
Kathy