The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Is this the appropriate grain for my horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/appropriate-grain-my-horse-115430/)

tierneylove09 03-06-2012 01:41 AM

Is this the appropriate grain for my horse?

I have been feeding my horse Strategy for about 2 years now and was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on that grain?

He's a 10 year old quarter horse who's ridden every other day. He does english and western pleasure and eq as well as showmanship and trail rides. He's out on very good grass all day as well.

loosie 03-07-2012 04:57 AM

Not big on Strategy or other high starch feeds. Not big on Purina generally either - any co that doesn't even give ingredients or analysis...

Basically if your horse is on good grass &/or hay, he probably doesn't need anything else aside from good nutritional supplementation. Just feed extra energy feeds to him if/when he needs it because he's losing too much condition. If you are going to feed grainy or otherwise starchy feeds, it's extra important to ensure it's fed little & often, rather than only a couple or so of larger meals daily.

Western Gal 03-07-2012 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tierneylove09 (Post 1394160)
I have been feeding my horse Strategy for about 2 years now and was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on that grain?

He's a 10 year old quarter horse who's ridden every other day. He does english and western pleasure and eq as well as showmanship and trail rides. He's out on very good grass all day as well.

Don't know much about Strategy even though a lot of people feed it. I do love complete feeds though they are balanced nutrition.
Then adding something with pre-biotics and yeasts so the horses gut can produce what it needs instead of replacing.

loosie 03-08-2012 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Western Gal (Post 1397129)
I do love complete feeds though they are balanced nutrition.

I think they *can* be balanced, nutrition-wise, depending on what it is. Many 'complete' feeds are nowhere near it though. Also it depends how much is being fed & what else the horse is getting as to how balanced - eg. if you feed under the recommended rate on the pack, they're not usually adequate.