The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Feed to help gain weight....help (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/feed-help-gain-weight-help-115434/)

Klassic Superstar 03-06-2012 01:19 AM

Feed to help gain weight....help

My horse is loosing weight and is getting 5-6 flakes of hay a day and a small amount of grain, has been worked, no ulcers and no apparent teeth problems but is getting them done in the next month or so.

What grains that are not to high in sugar or coated in molasses helps gain weight, he gets 1/2 scoop grass pellets and 1/2 scoop of oats.

Any suggestions would help.

cakemom 03-06-2012 01:24 AM

Try adding rice bran. Maxi glow is a wonderful pelleted one, although I feed ground. Red gets 2 cups 2x a day and I find it keeps him where I want him. Rice bran oil works well too, as does corn oil. Corn oil is not favored by some, although I've used it with great success.
Posted via Mobile Device

gypsygirl 03-06-2012 08:51 AM

i would up his hay first, 5-6 flakes is not very much in one day. what kind of hay is he getting ?

themacpack 03-06-2012 09:07 AM

What is the weight of the hay you are giving - "flakes" is not a good measurement when it comes to amount of hay because it can vary SO widely. For a horse that is having a weight issue, it is important to know exacty what you are giving them to identify where changes should be made. You're goal for increasing weight needs to be 2-3% of the horse's goal body weight in hay as a base (free choice is best, if at all possible). Also, what kind of hay is it that you are feeding? Increasing the amount of hay will not do a lot of good if it is hay that is not going to be useful to his body.
What sort of "grass" pellets are you feeding? Also, again, weight, not "scoops" needs to be determined in the grain(s) you are feeding. Take a "scoop" of each of the feeds you are using, put it in a baggie and go weigh it (grocery store scale, feed stores, hardware stores that sell bulk nuts/bolts, etc are all good places to find scales).
Until you know what you are feeding, there is no way to advise as to what to change. What is the amount of work the horse is doing? When was the horse last vetted and de-wormed?

Klassic Superstar 03-06-2012 12:17 PM

We have huge bales of hay, weighed at 7 pounds each flake for my little horse it is alot of hay. It's grass/Timothy mix

He gets worked about 3 days a week sometimes lunged on the 4th day

He was just wormed about 6 weeks ago, we didn't think we got it all so he just got wormed yesterday.

mls 03-06-2012 12:30 PM

Empower is a wonderful rice bran pellet to help with weight gain, yet not make the horse hyper.

verona1016 03-06-2012 01:20 PM

I'd suggest adding a ration balancer to make sure he's getting proper nutrition, and then add on beet pulp and/or rice bran for additional calories. I like to keep horses off grain if at all possible :-)

Klassic Superstar 03-06-2012 01:21 PM

I do too (off grain) he only recently was put on it

eventerdrew 03-06-2012 03:14 PM

I'd try a ration balancer like Enrich 32. I recently put my mare on it to help her gain weight and it's done wonders.

1RedHorse 03-06-2012 06:16 PM

Enrich 32 has very very low calories. It's meant for easy keepers to get the nutrients they need without the calories.

I would add Empower to his menu....work up to 3 lbs per day.