The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Best, most comfortable saddle you ever rode in (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/best-most-comfortable-saddle-you-ever-115450/)

Hidalgo13 03-06-2012 08:53 AM

Best, most comfortable saddle you ever rode in

Since the arena burnt, I had to go take a lesson at another barn from my trainer. I was assigned a lesson horse and chose among the few saddles one that fit the best. It was indeed a good fit, but OH MY... how uncomfortable it was! My back was hurting it was so hard and... non springy. When my trainer asked me to do posting trot without stirrups I thought my pelvic bone was going to break or something. :shock:

So, what are those saddle marks/models you rode in and made you think you were riding in heaven? :wink:

I have no clue what brand the saddle was, though wouldn't be surprised if it was a cheap starter saddle, :sad:but it made me awfully miss my usual lesson saddle. I don't know what mark it is either, but it's so comfortable.

hoopla 03-06-2012 09:08 AM

barnsby
Posted via Mobile Device

unclearthur 03-06-2012 09:22 AM

Ideal.

Ink 03-06-2012 10:04 AM

Toulouse has been the best I've tried so far.

gigem88 03-06-2012 10:10 AM

alta escuela!

its lbs not miles 03-06-2012 09:45 PM

A question that leads me to qualify the answer. :))

For me: Probably an custom, hornless Austrailian. Somewhat simplified explaination is a comfortable seat like a Western with the slight more forward stirrup position of a dressage saddle. Best of both worlds makes a great working saddle

For the horse (keeping in mind that distance the heart of my preferred riding): A custom fit Trooper is hands down the best saddle I've ever had for the horse. And it's plenty comfortable enough for me.

For long distance riding I'll say the Trooper, because the comfort of the horse is most important to avoid sore back and breakdown. For trail rides and especially as a working saddle (add a horn) I'll go with a good Australian saddle.

IquitosARG10 03-06-2012 10:38 PM

Stubben and a Collegiate. Both were well broken and in great shape and ohhh so comfy!!!

kitten_Val 03-07-2012 07:36 AM

I got Thornhill couple years back, and to this moment I'm amazed with the saddle build/quality vs price. It puts me in better position then most saddle (pricey ones too) I tried. Another one is my MT: the grip is amazing. :D

I'd love to own Black Country or County one day - they are very comfy to sit in. But I didn't try one on horse to see how it helps with position.

Hidalgo13 03-07-2012 09:21 AM

Hmm never heard of Thornhill before. I'll check them out. :)

I wonder if anybody knows how comfortable wintecs are?

Also, while I am asking questions, what difference does a forward flap vs a standard flap do to your position and how to you know if you need a more forward flap?

Ink 03-07-2012 09:30 AM

The equi-suede Wintecs aren't bad. They're actually pretty comfortable and sticky, but I can't stand the synthetic leather type ones.