The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Conformation in relation to disposition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/conformation-relation-disposition-115464/)

Klynn9 03-06-2012 01:36 PM

Conformation in relation to disposition

I have been looking into this, but can't seem to find enough about it. I have heard a couple of things through word of mouth, and now want to know more!
The first thing I heard was at a clinic. The trainer mentioned that one horse had a bulge below her eyes, which is considered to be consistent with more stubborn horses, which this mare was.
The second thing I heard was that a horse who has small nostrils and a longer lip tend to be the more dominant, pushy type. That I know was true as well, because this time it was my horse :)
I am interested to hear more, as well as hear what people think about these 'old wive's tales'

xxdanioo 03-06-2012 01:43 PM

Depending on where the swirl on their face is- it determines intelligence (or so people say) high swirl above the eyes they will be hot, swirl between the eyes they will be level headed, and swirl below the eyes will be a slower horse.

Klynn9 03-06-2012 10:41 PM

Hmm, that's interesting! Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

DraftyAiresMum 03-06-2012 10:47 PM

Sorry, but I see things that and I think of what my ex sister-in-law told me she heard about cowlicks on your baby's head. My son has three cowlicks at the back of his head (and they all go different directions, poor thing! lol) and she said it meant we'd have twins the next time. A bunch of hokum, if you ask me (just as an FYI, my next pregnancy ended in a miscarriage at 6 weeks). There is absolutely NO substantiating evidence beyond hearsay to support these ridiculous old wives' tales.

busysmurf 03-06-2012 10:51 PM

I like the one that if your horse can roll all the way over they're super smart. Those are usually the ones that shake & take off after rolling only to run into something, hehehe

Klynn9 03-06-2012 10:52 PM

Haha well I am not convinced that there is any truth to them, it was just for curiosity's sake. The things I have heard seemed believable enough, but it could easily be entirely coincidental :)
Posted via Mobile Device

calicokatt 03-06-2012 10:56 PM

Well, our very calm paint, goes anywhere, does anything, never seen her spook, slow and steady unless you really ask for speed, has a high cowlick above her eyes. Our hot, flighty, fidgety, spooky arab has his squarely between his eyes.... So I don't buy the whole cowlick thing....

yourcolorfuladdiction 03-06-2012 11:07 PM

I think what Klynn9 is talking about is the TTouch how to assess personality? It involves whorls and facial structure mostly to determine equine personality. "Getting in Touch with Horses: How to Assess and Influence Personality, Potential, and Performance" is a good book if you're interested but I wouldn't get too involved in it.

Klynn9 03-06-2012 11:20 PM

Yes, that sounds about right. As I mentioned before, it's purely just curiosity. I am not going to train or interact with my horses based on this stuff instead of common sense.
Posted via Mobile Device