The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Possible purchase for Hunter/Jumper & Pony Club? REALLY need opinions (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/possible-purchase-hunter-jumper-pony-club-115474/)

poultrygirl 03-06-2012 03:08 PM

Possible purchase for Hunter/Jumper & Pony Club? REALLY need opinions

9 Attachment(s)
Went and looked at this mare the other day while I was on a trip out of state.
Coming 8 years old, been leased, been a lesson horse, been used by a team member on a college equestrian team.
Original owner, came off the track at age 3 sound.
Does dressage (not that I would know anything about that...:-() and has hunter/jumper training. O now does stock horses and this mare is the last of her hunters. She was at a training barn, being used in a lesson program, and she just came home a couple weeks ago (shes been for sale for awhile tho, but the barn she was at was too far away for me to go look), and she's....SKINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNY.

I have no one horse savvy to take with me when I try a horse, so instead it was just my dad, sitting there, and later insisting that something must be wrong with her, she's so thin. No comments on her movement, ect. I did take pics tho. Didn't go over any jumps (I've only done flatwork, need something to move up on, that knows what it's doing). She was very honest on the flat, not pushy, pretty much a doll with a really nice trot and canter.

I need more experienced eyes....What do you think of her conformation, etc etc.
Attachment 90685Attachment 90686Attachment 90687 Attachment 90688Attachment 90690Attachment 90691
Ignoring the troll in the red shirt with really bad position and short stirrups :oops:

She also has a "dead nerve" in her tailhead, so she doesnt "swish" it.

Video of her jumping a few months ago: Video of her at a younger age:
Old pics when she saw better days:
Attachment 90692Attachment 90693Attachment 90694
Opinions, pretty please and many thank yous :)

redape49 03-06-2012 03:39 PM

Looks like she has something going on with her hips, and for a jumper it kind of concerns me....I'm no expert though =X

PintoTess 03-06-2012 03:41 PM

Hard to tell with her weight...maybe she would come nice when she has a little more meat on her bones :)

franknbeans 03-06-2012 03:55 PM

I am not a confo expert, but I see slightly over at the knee, paddles with the left front, and slightly cow hocked, with the left rear turned out. Whether or not any of those will affect her being able to teach you for a few years, low level, who knows.

mudpie 03-06-2012 04:39 PM

She currently looks underweight and undermuscled. She's sickled hocked in the hind end, and also her croup is long and extremely steep with her tail set too high. I don't want to say she's wasp-waisted, but she isn't deep enough in the flanks. She's built downhill which is a huge issue. She's also ewe necked. She stands over a bit at the knee in the front end.

She shouldn't look like that at 8 years old. I really think that it's better to move on and find another horse(:

Shropshirerosie 03-06-2012 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudpie (Post 1394884)
She shouldn't look like that at 8 years old. I really think that it's better to move on and find another horse(:

This. I agree, sorry.

SorrelHorse 03-06-2012 04:53 PM

I would definitely pass. She is sunk in, underweight, cow hocked, majorly flat on her butt, has zero muscling...and she's only eight years old. That bothers me a lot.

Zeke 03-06-2012 04:59 PM

She does seem too sickly for me....I'd pass. Did the owner say how/why she has a dead nerve?
Posted via Mobile Device

churumbeque 03-06-2012 05:24 PM

If she is priced right and a vet gives the ok I would think this could make a nice horse with some TLC. She has seen better days and just may not be getting the best care.

mudpie 03-06-2012 05:25 PM

I'm sure that she would make a good horse, but not for the OP's purposes. Her conformation is such that she is unsuited for that kind of work.