The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Colleges?! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/colleges-115481/)

Theissyhunterjumper 03-06-2012 06:05 PM

Colleges?!

I know I still have a lot of time left to figure it out…but I'm the type of person who likes to think about my options for a long time, 3 years left then I'm gone (wow I feel weird saying that…)but any way Im hoping to go to a equine college a study to be a trainer or at least on those lines. I've been looking at Findley U. Which has a fabulous equine program, & I looked at Merideth Manor (about 35 minutes from where I live so that's a +) but… I'm not sold on there facility. I don't know am I crazy for thinking I end up in the equine world when I get older as a career? Oh and I do plan to bring my horse where ever I go. I guess you can say my backup plan is going to be a physical therapist. Tell me what you guys think should do/go. Here's the links to there websites
Equestrian Colleges: Meredith Manor Equine College / Horse School
Heres Findleys equine studies
The University of Findlay - Equestrian Studies
And heres the equine bussiness managment which i would like to do
The University of Findlay - Equine Business Management

Thanks!

justjump 03-06-2012 06:20 PM

I'm in the same boat only I'm ahead :) I'm looking into Centenary College, Cazenovia College, SUNY, Murray State University, Virginia Intermont College, West Texas A&M, Averett University, and I also know Meredith Manor is well known. I'm visiting Murray State Univ. next week! I'd check them all out, West Texas A&M has an amazing program for a price that you just cannot beat. If you get on the eq team, you can get an in-state rate that is at 7k including room and board (INSANE compared to the extreme price tags on some of the schools up north like Caz, VI, and Centenary). I also know William Woods Univ. and St. Andrews Presbyterian College has degrees as well.

Happy hunting!! :D

PS: I was also thinking I was crazy for wanting to be a trainer/business owner in the equine industry. But, it's the only thing that I am truly passionate about and that I am naturally good at. I've tried other things, but it's the only thing that really clicked for me. You have some time, so I would try looking into other things *just in case*. Also, I too was looking at MM and thought it was the best thing since sliced bread until I saw the living facilities. I'm not a high maintenance person and can live in some pretty bad conditions, but I don't think living on a bus would be something I would want to do for 4 years of my life.

For you, and how you've been talking about your goals, I really recommend WTAMU or Murray State. Both are schools that have the whole "home away from home", have great living conditions, awesome facilities, friendly staff, and you can't beat the price tag.

I checked the net price of Caz U, Centenary, and VI and even with my grades (I have over a 4.0, tons of extra cirricular, NHS, volunteer hours, scholarships, etc) they're prices are still ridiculous. I believe Caz U was over 25k a year just in tuition, Centenary was 41k just in tuition (20k in my scholarships, but room, board and other fees brought it back up to around 35k), and VI was about 36k with everything included. Caz is GORGEOUS GORGEOUS GORGEOUS with a beautiful facility and obviously an amazing program, but for someone like me, it's just too expensive (not to mention its in the middle of nowhere, same with VI). VI has an amazing eq. program too and is really well known for it, but it got terrible reviews, the rooms are terrible (cold showers, splintering floors, no heat, etc; IMO, for the price it shouldn't be that bad) and it's also in the middle of nowhere.

Again, it's all up to YOU and what YOU think is best for yourself and your career! I know colleges don't take ap's until the summer if your senior year (which is what I'm doing :D ) so I wouldn't be in a rush. I would take your time, visit the schools to get first hand experiences, and do research on not only the school, but the town and student reviews.

Good luck! :D

Theissyhunterjumper 03-06-2012 06:22 PM

Thank you! I'll definitely look into them!

heymckate 03-06-2012 06:33 PM

I don't know if they still have it, but Oklahoma State (okstate.edu) used to have an equine program. Regardless, their agriculture programs are top-notch, and they have an extremely competitive equestrian team.

justjump 03-06-2012 06:35 PM

Forgot to mention that Cazenovia offers internships at Beezie Madden's barn, since it's also in Cazenovia, NY! Just thought I'd share :)

Sweet Briar College is an all girls school that has an amazing program, but again, *all girls school* hahaha

Theissyhunterjumper 03-07-2012 12:09 AM

Haha all girl school psh that's part of your college experience! I good thing about MM for me would I wouldnt have to live their I could just get a apartment for the same price in Marietta that meets my standards (I agree I'm not high maintenance but really a bus??) I'm really interested in William woods U… I think it's in Missouri. It's beautiful and has A lot of options! I have a DVD I got at last years equine affair and it seemed soooo perfect! I'm definitely having a backup plan, but I've always wanted to do this my ENTIRE life. Hopefully it comes true!
Posted via Mobile Device

Fringe 03-07-2012 01:39 AM

I've been looking into colleges recently for the same thing- I looked at Findlay as well and I know their equine studies program is good, but another important thing to me is a really great equestrian team and I'be heard some mixed things about that...
Centenary is just about perfect, but really expensive as well. If you haven't looked into the University of Kentucky, I'd suggest that. I know they have a pretty nice equine studies program as well as a fantastic hunter/jumper team. I've been riding at the barn the UK team is based out of for several months now and it's really great. I know the coach will also try to help people find jobs in the horse industry in their area of interest. One of her former students is now a grand prix jumper/trainer and just yesterday she was on the phone with someone recommending a student of hers for a job she was looking into :)

Good luck finding the perfect college for you!

aggiegirl14 03-07-2012 01:57 AM

Texas A&M is where I'm at. You can't major in equine science here, but I'm majoring in animal science: production/industry, will minor in business, and get an equine certification. Its a little more broad than just being straight equine science. Plus, this is seriously the best place in the world. The Aggie network is amazing and there are sooo many great connections here. There is also a very competitive equestrian team that has done really well, as well as other horsey opportunities! They have a stock horse team, and I just tried out for the horsemanship clinic program in which I would travel around Texas with my horse over the summer getting paid to teach clinics to 4H counties. They also have cool horse classes like a training class where you're assigned an unbroke horse for the semester and get to train him!

aggiegirl14 03-07-2012 02:14 AM

Sorry to double post, but I love this video lol

Theissyhunterjumper 03-07-2012 05:22 PM

Wow I'm definitely do some more research on Texas A&M! It looks awesome!