The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Dun factor and double creams (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/dun-factor-double-creams-115483/)

Crossover 03-06-2012 05:30 PM

Dun factor and double creams

I was just wondering... I'm looking at a perlino filly. She is out of a smokey black mare (no idea of her dun factor) from a dunskin stallion. My question is how does the double dilute affect the dun factor? Would you still expect to see the typical dun markers?

Poseidon 03-07-2012 05:19 AM

They are on the coat but since the coat is so light, they are difficult to see. I saw a perlino dun on a website once. His leg barring was so faint it was barely visible and you could vaguely tell he had a dorsal stripe. Can't remember his name though, but they had him tested and he came up D/d.
(
Also, you would know if the mare carried dun because smoky grulla looks like regular grulla. She would be obvious.

christabelle 03-07-2012 05:56 AM

There are some pictures of this double dilute stallion.

New Page 1

Interesting looking for sure.
Posted via Mobile Device

Monty77 03-07-2012 02:27 PM

I don't know anything about dun factors, but that stallion is breathtaking!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Poseidon 03-07-2012 02:39 PM

Monty: Dun is a gene that dilute color similarly to cream. It also puts "primitive markings" on the horse such as shoulder barring, leg barring, cobwebbing on the face, and a dorsal stripe.

Crossover 03-07-2012 05:15 PM

Well then I know the mare doesn't have dun factor. The filly has such a wooly coat right now I can't tell. I'll have to wait till she sheds out... if I get her, waiting on HERDA tests.

Nine 03-07-2012 10:34 PM

What's a "HERDA" test?

Poseidon 03-08-2012 04:44 AM

HERDA is a genetic disease in Quarter Horses that is associated with the Poco Bueno line. It stands for hereditary equine regional dermal asthenia. More information: Horse HERDA