The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Jobs (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-jobs/)
-   -   Thinking of being a trainer. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-jobs/thinking-being-trainer-115503/)

Stoddard 03-06-2012 07:24 PM

Thinking of being a trainer.

And I wanted your opinions. Nothing necessarily serious, just something that kinda goes along the lines of a paid hobby. Got a horse you're scared to get on because he runs? Got a horse that gets all barn sour and needs a little extra oomph to get him to go? That's where I come in. I'm doing these kind of things for my old friend/riding instructor. Horses that haven't been ridden in awhile that aren't exactly beginner friendly are horses I ride.

I was wondering what you guys thought? I'm sure eventually I could move on, but right now I'm trying to be reasonable with myself.

Soulofhorse 03-08-2012 04:41 AM

Depends on your experience and self-confidence. As my Mom says - your client should never know more than you do :wink:.

iridehorses 03-08-2012 05:45 AM

We know nothing about your experience or knowledge. How much time and how many horses have you handled with those problems? What does you trainer (who probably knows your skills best) think?

A LOT more info is needed.

DuffyDuck 03-08-2012 05:56 AM

Go out and get the experience- working with one person for a few grumpy horses is nothing compared to some of the s*** that some people will put you on if you advertise like that. I read that and I expect you to stick like glue, and not get unseated and solve my horse's problems.

Instead, I would advertise you're experience, and let them know you have handled 'difficult' horses, if they're interested, they'll ask for more info etc... there are always more difficult horses out there then you have experience with, and some people will lie, and expect you to get on anything.

Another tip.. get good insurance ;)

Apart from that.. good luck, make a good name for yourself, and you'll get the business!

Stoddard 03-08-2012 01:29 PM

Well, I should have been more detailed. But, a lot has happened as of yesterday. My trainer agreed to help me as long as I agreed to do lots of reading and learned different perspectives from other people so I can formulate my own opinion and skill sets. I've always had a passion for horses. I feel like I know a lot and I know I'm always open to learn something new about horses. I've taken a lot of time to read already, and am very proud to admit that every horse I have ever owned an ridden has taught me something that I still use today.

As for me, if experience is falling off a horse a billion times and always getting back on until you find out what the problem is, that's me. I get on any horse that my trainer tells me to. Sometimes it's resulted in some pain or a lesson learned, but hey - you don't live unless you learn. I don't think I'll be jumping around advertising for a couple years. I want to train, and I've recently constructed a new route to my schooling plan thanks to my brilliant mom.

Instead of going to school for two years in car cosmetics, I'm going to go to a vet tech and be an assistant. The valid reasons she gave me were: 1) I'd be getting to go back to my original dream job without having to be the vet, which had it's jobs I didn't really wanna do, 2) in situations where a horse is needed to be seen by the vet, or if I end up working under an equine vet, I get the potential possibility to reach out for more clients for my training job. So, I'd have two jobs that I love.

I'm also going to be working on refreshing myself on English. I like western a lot, and will always be a western rider, but I'm not just a western rider - I'm a horse rider. Someday, I will find a dressage trainer and learn that as well to expand my knowledge and skill. For now, I'll stick to what I can reach.

The horse I've recently fallen for - Butterscotch - is being taught manners with split rein. She also wants to fix his attitude problem under the English saddle. I haven't personally seen how he acts with it yet, but I'll find out after I work on my English on a forgiving horse. Then, I'll hop on him and see if he really hates that contact as much as Hillari claims. It could be fun!

I was taught to lunge yesterday. Diana, the woman who taught me, is Nancy's (my trainer) niece. I lunged two horses. I do have to work on a couple things, but she said I did much better than anyone else she's ever had to teach and told Nancy I was a natural. I felt great, especially after Nancy said, "Yeah, I know. It's because she wants to be."

I relearned how to see leads, and I learned what a cross canter was. This forum has also taught me a lot since I've joined. Amazing what the simple text from other horse folk can teach someone.

The main thing I have to work on myself right now is to stop being so hard in my left leg and to be a little softer in my hands for horses who don't necessarily need reins to be told what to do. It's my biggest problem right now, but I'm hoping that I can train myself out of it.

I'm not looking to really "open" for advertising until I finish school, which gives me lots of time to work with my trainer and possibly work/discuss with other trainers. This means I could have 2-3 years of self-training before I even blink at saying, "I'm experienced! Throw your horse my way!"

I do want advice. I want your scariest stories, your wise tales, and someday I'll get an SD card so I can record my riding so you guys can rip me apart piece-by-piece.

iridehorses 03-08-2012 01:35 PM

Have you ever gone to a clinic given by one of the big names? It can be an eye opener.

Stoddard 03-08-2012 01:45 PM

No, but I've watched videos and seen 'em on TV.

iridehorses 03-08-2012 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoddard (Post 1397982)
No, but I've watched videos and seen 'em on TV.

I have too but it absolutely isn't the same thing. You should go to see what they do that you don't see in a DVD or on TV.

Stoddard 03-08-2012 03:02 PM

I wouldn't mind going to see one of 'em. I will when I can, but right now I can't - even if one showed up in my town tomorrow. My car kinda hates me. Is there anyone you'd suggest I watch for to come in my area?

alexischristina 03-09-2012 01:32 AM

Hmm, this may sound a little rude but nothing you said up there stuck out to me as 'trainer material' right now. I'd suggest working at it for a few more years and working under as many coaches / trainers as you can, as a working student, or just taking lessons. Additionally, if there are any rescues near you (specifically OTTB rehab type places) they will often look for people to volunteer to ride / train / put miles on OTTBS. I would, eventually, like to 'train' but I would never hire myself out to another person unless I knew I was able to take on whatever they threw at me, and totally knowledgeable in many disciplines and had put my experience to use on a 'flip' horse of my own, if that makes sense.