The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trailers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/)
-   -   Trailer SCAM!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/trailer-scam-115524/)

Bobbysox 03-06-2012 09:32 PM

Trailer SCAM!!

Hi folks. On 05-24-2011, bee222 posted a warning on The Horse Forum about a scam to sell trailers. I nearly fell for the same scam this week so it is still alive and out there.
The price is too good and the email back says:
Hi,
I am looking to sell the trailer because i am relocating. Tried to do that for 2 months and didn't had a success so i dropped the price at $4,100.00 (the price is firm). I'm currently working in the UK (London) and I'll be moving here permanently within the next few months. I have already been sold my horses and i left the trailer to a warehouse in Akron, OH before leaving to the UK. The trailer is very clean, clear title and no mechanical problems. I can ship it for free if you want to buy it.
For more information and pictures follow this link:
http://img-hosting-center.125mb.com/...ownerlq727.htm
The pics speak for themselves, You'll love the trailer, I can guarantee you that!
Let me know if you are interested and we'll go from there.
Thank you!

Donna Waggener

The warning from bee222 last year had the EXACT SAME PARAGRAPH but with a different price for a different trailer.
The next email you get says:
Hi again Amanda,
As you could see the horse trailer is in showroom condition. It is paid in full and will come with the title (clear title), bill of sale signed by me and all the papers that you need to register it under your name.
Like i said in my first email i am not in the country right now. However I made all the necessary arrangements to sell the trailer even if my staying here will be longer then expected.
I'm using a freight and escrow company to sell this trailer, I left it at their warehouse in Akron, OH before leaving to the UK. They are supervising the entire sale process from payment, shipping with a inspection period, title transfer service or/and (if needed) returns and refunding. The shipping isn't a problem. It can be done at no cost for you. You will receive the trailer along with all the documents.
As for the payment we can start a transaction through the freight company where I'm already registered. You will have to register too on their web site, sign into your account and start a new transaction as a buyer. They act as a third party and will protect both of us in this transaction.
Email me back with your full name and shipping address if you'd like to buy it.
Regards!

Donna Waggener

As soon as you ask if you can see the trailer, everything comes to a halt. Bee222 got that same paragraph ALSO!

WATCH OUT

Darrin 03-06-2012 09:59 PM

Several clues for these craigslist scams. The price is to good to be true, the owner is always in another location, the written add does not flow right (ie english is probably not their native language) and they want you to send a check.

Most scams are in the autos for sale section. Read that section every day and you'll quickly learn to spot scam posts.

Joe4d 03-06-2012 11:09 PM

I have seen the same scam but the story is a deployed soldier, can ship yadda yadda, I screwed with them for awhile, said great deliver to Ft Lee VA, Ill send you th emoney, course they wanted the whole wire BS,,, I said great I'll just pay the shipper in cash, "when the trailer shows up"
back and forth like that a bit, played games fo rawhile. was entertaining briefly

loveduffy 03-06-2012 11:28 PM

the other thing people do to see if it is true it to tell the seller you have a friend or you your self can go look at the trailer to check it out -they run like the wind more fun is to ask them if it has stuff like a tail holder or dose it come with skis for winter use- the new scamer will say yes :)

LovesMyDunnBoy 03-06-2012 11:31 PM

Loveduffy, that's too funny xP
Posted via Mobile Device

Darrin 03-07-2012 12:21 AM

If you love that then spend some time perusing this board: 419 Eater - The largest scambaiting community on the planet!. This forum is dedicating to scamming the scammers, some pretty darn funny stuff there.

karebear444 03-09-2012 09:41 PM

Thanks for the warning. I actually found my trailer on craigslist a month ago, but nobody was getting money from me until I saw the trailer and brought a knowledgeable person with me. I didn't want to get duped.

benbo30 03-14-2012 12:05 PM

i have seen these scams not only with trailers , but with cars , homes for sale and more , its ridiculous , i just cant believe how many now a days still fall for it being there are warnings about this every where now.

kitten_Val 03-14-2012 12:23 PM

Yeah, this scam is all over the place and been there for years. In fact I had fun couple times contacting so-called "buyers" and trying to "buy" the trailer. :lol:

mls 03-14-2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_Val (Post 1407271)
Yeah, this scam is all over the place and been there for years. In fact I had fun couple times contacting so-called "buyers" and trying to "buy" the trailer. :lol:

Be warned - part of getting your response is to get your e-mail address.