The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Favourite riding breed/favourite general breed? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/favourite-riding-breed-favourite-general-breed-115554/)

Gleek 03-07-2012 05:04 AM

Favourite riding breed/favourite general breed?

My favourite breeds of horses to ride are Quater horses and Welshies. QH- i love the way they hold themselves. I particually love this QH I ride at my riding center. He is really forward moving and has a great trot.
Welsh- Are just fun to ride.

Love clydesdales as well. They're gorgeous.

IslandWave 03-07-2012 07:46 AM

Arabians are my first love.

As for riding, after I bought my first mare, a grade Quarter Horse, I've been a QH girl. I just love their sensible mind and versatility.
I've only ridden one of these each, but I've also enjoyed a Belgian/Thoroughbred cross for just being one of the best minded, athletic and talented horses and a Connemara/Hanoverian for being the perfect size for me and quite talented as well. I would love to ride more of these crosses and see if others are similar.

wetrain17 03-07-2012 08:47 AM

I don't know if I could pick just one. There are a lot of breeds with completely different characteristics that I like. It depends on my mood what breed of horse I feel like riding. If I'm in a mellow mood, I want the QH. If Im in a mood to just get on and go I want the TB. If Im in more of a technical mood, I want the WB. It changes day to day what my favorite is.

lilruffian 03-07-2012 05:14 PM

My first love would be the Thoroughbred.
My favorite breed to own and ride, however, is the Fjord :) Arabians comes 2nd

BarrelRacer95 03-08-2012 09:27 AM

I Love Quarter Horses, Appaloosas and Paints. But i have had an Arabian cross and loved riding her.

LadyScarlet 03-08-2012 03:56 PM

My favorites are Appaloosa, Friesian, Clydes, Haflingers

Love them! :)

Laures 03-09-2012 04:16 PM

Belgian Warmbloods,definitly.

hoopla 03-09-2012 04:23 PM

I've had a selection of breeds of ponies and horses all my life and have distinct preferences depending on what discipline.

But particular favourites are TB and Arab and if I could only have one breed it would be TB or else I'd cheat and persuade folks an Anglo Arab was a breed in it's own right

Country Woman 03-10-2012 07:44 PM

Arabians for me
although I have ridden everything from Thoroughbreds to Quarter Horses
and lots of mixed breeds as well

1997magic 03-14-2012 05:00 PM

I'm partial to Quarter Horses. Ive been around them all my life, and even helped train a few. I think that they are good because they carry themselves well, and arent as "spooky" as some breeds, but still have a lot of spunk when you ask them for it.