The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   Breeds for Trail Riding? (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/breeds-trail-riding-115581/)

BlueSpark 03-07-2012 11:03 AM

Breeds for Trail Riding?

I know this is largely dependent on the individual. But I thought I would ask out of curiousity.
- I do long trails and mountain riding, so I need somthing sound and sane.
-I also ride with begginer/ intermediate riders , so I need something steady so I can help them if needed or lead the rides.
-On the other hand, My regular riding partners are on arabs and long legged thoroughbreds, so I need somthing that can get out and move, and keep up with a faster paced ride.

So what are your favorite trail horses? Do you have a specific breed you prefer?

Ink 03-07-2012 11:19 AM

I know a lot of people around here go to Tennessee Walking Horses or Spotted Saddle Horses for trails. They tend to be super mellow and forgiving. They're also a smooth ride and can keep up a good steady pace.

Jolly Badger 03-07-2012 11:53 AM

I have Tennessee Walkers - love them, but (IMO) the popular train breeds all have their strengths and weaknesses.

All of the TWHs I've known have sound minds and huge hearts. There does tend to be different "types" of TWH's - some are a smaller or leaner build, others are taller and more "stocky." It's really just a matter of personal preference.

If you do have a gaited horse and ride with a group of non-gaited horses, there is always a chance you may run into problems matching speed with the others.

Gaited horses are meant to cover ground with a swift, smooth-riding movement. While it's not always the case, the other horses may have to jog, trot, or even lope or canter to keep pace with a gaited horse. The alternative would be constantly having to hold your gaited horse back to what's often called a "dog walk."

There are very strong opinions in both camps when it comes to gaited and non-gaited trail riders. Non-gaited riders often accuse gaited riders of being speed-freaks who just burn up the trails, and say we go too fast to enjoy the scenery. On the flip side, many gaited riders say that non-gaited riders just don't get to see as much in one ride because it takes them so long to get anywhere.:lol:

Joe4d 03-07-2012 12:41 PM

two types of horses on the trails, Tennessee Walking Horses, and the ones other less informed people are riding.
I was less informed at one time. So cant be to hard on people.

Trails 03-07-2012 12:48 PM

I ride a Walker, my wife rides an Icelandic, and I dearly want to join the enlightened ranks of mule riders :-)

goneriding 03-07-2012 12:49 PM

It depends on what you want. There are a lot of breeds that are sane and great on trail.

BlueSpark 03-07-2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

two types of horses on the trails, Tennessee Walking Horses, and the ones other less informed people are riding.
I was less informed at one time. So can't be to hard on people
I've never ridden one, so I don't know. Rode a gaited appy mare, but her gait was the same pace as a thoroughbreds trot. I find the thoroghbreds and arabs like to get out and cover alot of ground but are not known for being steady and solid. When i'm not with begginers i like to cover alot of ground. i'm alittle worried about going gaited when i only ride with non gaited. I've ridden morgans and they seem to be nice horses in general, but the last one I was riding was such a jerk it turned me off the breed a little.

kevinshorses 03-07-2012 01:00 PM

I ride all stock horse breeds. I think you can't go wrong with a Quarter horse. Research the bloodlines and get a horse that is performance or ranch bred and conformed to be a good traveler. Don't get a tightly bred 14 hand cutting horse and expect to keep up with 17 hand Tbs or arabs. I have 15 hand QHs and an Appy the same size and they can walk with just about anything and do it all day long.

goneriding 03-07-2012 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueSpark (Post 1396332)
I've never ridden one, so I don't know. Rode a gaited appy mare, but her gait was the same pace as a thoroughbreds trot. I find the thoroghbreds and arabs like to get out and cover alot of ground but are not known for being steady and solid. When i'm not with begginers i like to cover alot of ground. i'm alittle worried about going gaited when i only ride with non gaited. I've ridden morgans and they seem to be nice horses in general, but the last one I was riding was such a jerk it turned me off the breed a little.

I have ridden Arabs for many years and covered many miles. They have all been solid and steady. Different breeds and horses within their breed can vary. A lot of it is the rider and how that the horse was raised and trained. It bothers me when horses are stereo typed so much. It's a "horse." :wink:

Corporal 03-07-2012 01:22 PM

LOL, JoeD--guess we know where YOUR heart is!!
IMO the most important things are:
1) Your horse is sound
2) Your horse can carry your weight
3) You'll HATE it if one person is riding a gaited horse and you are NOT!!
"Tyke" was a QH/TWH cross, and when our family was on trail riding vacations Tyke would do a running walk when we were road-trotting, which is neither a comfortable trot or fast enough to canter, and canter will wear your horse out faster than trotting.
4) Please get your horse in shape before you take him/her on any really long trail rides.