The Horse Forum banner

Breeds for Trail Riding?

30K views 119 replies 61 participants last post by  strawberry paint 
#1 ·
I know this is largely dependent on the individual. But I thought I would ask out of curiousity.
- I do long trails and mountain riding, so I need somthing sound and sane.
-I also ride with begginer/ intermediate riders , so I need something steady so I can help them if needed or lead the rides.
-On the other hand, My regular riding partners are on arabs and long legged thoroughbreds, so I need somthing that can get out and move, and keep up with a faster paced ride.

So what are your favorite trail horses? Do you have a specific breed you prefer?

#33 ·
It seems like many of the dyed in the wool gaited horse enthusiasts have quite an attitude! I think the rest of us are quite happy that you like your gaited horses, but some people really DO prefer to just 'lollygag along' and enjoy the scenery. (I am not one of them, and have trouble having trail partners because everyone else seems to ride a quarter horse whose walk is stuck in granny gear lol) Just because I like to go faster, and sometimes too fast to see much of anything but the trail in front of me, doesn't make it the right way to trail ride, or the only way to trail ride, and it doesn't make other people's way the wrong way....
Kathy
Oh, and we own three gaited horses, and 5 that aren't, so please don't tell me I've never tried it or don't know what I'm talking about.

#36 ·
When armies had horse cavalry, the trot was the gait used to cover long distances quickly.

The gaited breeds most certainly do not have a monopoly on covering ground quickly.

If speed is what you want, get an OTTB. They are fantastic athletes, and are the preferred mount for foxhunters in the western states where they chase coyotes for miles on end, often at a gallop.

#37 ·
I haven't read ALL the posts here, so I don't know if this has been suggested...

OP, have you considered maybe a TWH/cross? I've met/ridden a couple, and now own one... and they seem to be much more willing to slow down with the un-gaited horses on the trails :) My "Racker" is as willing to mozey along all slow like on the trail as the calm-minded QH's next to us (She still has one heck of a speed button her her though ;) ) :lol:

#39 ·
If speed is what you want, get an OTTB. They are fantastic athletes, and are the preferred mount for foxhunters in the western states where they chase coyotes for miles on end, often at a gallop.
there is the problem. I need both. I want a horse I can lead the beginners out on the trail with, walk and trot willingly, not get too bored or prancy. then I can take it out with more experienced riders and keep up a good pace over long distances and rough terrain. I have the latter right now in Willow, but she gets bored and spooks violently if we go slower than a working trot

#40 · (Edited)
I have owned many different breeds of horses including gaited.
FWIW, my RMH gaited gelding does not have the "big engine" forward movement that many people associate with gaited breeds on the trail, and it is one of the reasons why I chose him.

He will turn it on if asked to, but it isn't his mission in life and we like to amble along like melted butter.
Many of the gaited breeds can indeed glide along at regular paces just fine.

Bluespark wrote: "I need both. I want a horse I can lead the beginners out on the trail with, walk and trot willingly, not get too bored or prancy. Then I can take it out with more experienced riders and keep up a good pace over long distances and rough terrain."

That is what I was looking for too, and found in my gaited gelding. He is a good ride for me, but at the same time I can put my beginner son on him and know he will be taken care of. It did take some effort and travel to find him and I had to pass over quite a few horses, but in the end it was worth it.

#41 ·
I personally like any sound, athletic, sane, specifically trail trained horse with good HARD feet!
For me QH/Arab crosses (quarab) are the best. Endurance with size, a little flash, substance, brains, and normally sure footed. I like how there is a mix of heart and if done right the QH can cool down the Arab a bit. The Arab adds in the nice extended trot so you can keep up with almost anything.
I'm not really a fan of gaited horses, but it's all personal preference! The riding group around here all rides TWH's and I can't keep up with them on my trail horses, nor do I want to. But those gals love to march, mostly on the flat and I climb mountains. I just like anything with a brain mixed with whoa and a go when I need it!!
When shopping I look for horses that have been exposed to parades, wagons, guns, and advertised as trail horses with plenty of miles on them. Then I look at their feet and only get ones that go barefoot. All three of mine have rock hard feet and the farrier groans when he comes out!
I've got two QH's and a quargan right now and all three are beasts on the trails, just depends on the horse. But I used to have mostly quarabs and I think they win hands down!

Good luck!! How fun to get to shop!
Posted via Mobile Device

#43 ·
I think the OP has a lot of good opinions to chew over. Mildot, the US Cavalry, on their post-CW campaigns, used the walk and trot to travel long distances bc CONSTANT cantering or galloping would have done in their horses. They bred TB studs to mustangs and other mares to produce stock endurance. That doesn't recommend the trot for long distance trail riding, IMHO!!
Personally, I used to log a lot of miles trail riding. I prefer the walk. Mostly that's the speed my family took on our horse-trail riding vacations, so that we could enjoy the scenery. We weren't racing. If I were, I'd buy another Arabian, hands down. "Corporal" wouldn't ever wear out.
EVERY gaited or 1/2 gaited horse I have ever owned preferred to gait instead of walk. It's like I'm driving my diesel truck with my foot OFF of the accelerator and have to keep pumping my brakes to keep under 20mph!!!!
YES, the running walk and amble are comfortable. If you haven't ridden either, they are more comfortable than either my Arab's fast trot or my OTTB's fast trot used to be, at the same speed. BUT, they are not all as smooth as silk. Some of them are not as comfortable as riding some QH's slow trot.
This is one of only 3 subjects that my husband and I disagree on. (pretty good after almost 33 years of marriage) He prefers gaited. I prefer a horse that trots. We've just agreed to disagree. Still love my two KMH's. Still love my QH.

#45 · (Edited)
Sorry, wasn't clear. The Cavalry used the trot bc it didn't wear their horses out. Had they constantly cantered or constantly galloped, their horses would have worn out. You can travel long distances in the same day by walk, trot, walk, trot. They also dismounted and led them at the walk. Bouncing along at the trot is NOT something I like to ride for long distances. I do prefer to trail ride at the walk.

#46 ·
hahahaha - wow. Talk about how regional experience can determine your preferences. Some of the trails I have been taken on require more billy goat than horse. Gaited or not gaited, I don't know if speed is a good idea where we head out to.

We choose to walk because we are picking our footfalls with caution and safety in mind.

I can't imagine gaiting or trotting on the actual trails out here.

Good discussion to follow.

#48 ·
We choose to walk because we are picking our footfalls with caution and safety in mind.

I can't imagine gaiting or trotting on the actual trails out here.

Good discussion to follow.
This is why some thing sane and logical is important. where we ride in the mountains the trails are...interesting. I've known many ottb's that panic when the footing gets sketchy. seen a mare try to turn around on a steep hill, trapping her self on slippery footing off trail, against a tree. a gelding i knew would run through anything that scared him, and a different gelding who was almost impossible to rate on hills. he would either run or jig sideways.

The best trail horse i ever knew was an appy gelding.

#49 ·
If you are just walking, all breeds should have a similar feel.

I have ridden TWH's and Arabs for trails. My Arabs have held up better in the long run as far as staying sound over the years. The TWH's were smoother and more sane. The Arab that I am riding now is a bit squirrelly -- likely to spook. I had a OTTB for a while that was way to skiddish for me to take out on trails.

Since I am unlikely to do any endurance competition, I would likely consider a TWH or even a well mannered QH, Paint, or Appaloosa.

I guess that my favorite breed of horse is whatever breed is well trained.

#53 ·
I know a lady that has two off track standardbreds as trail horses. They can be a little tall for some trails, but are generally much less "hot." Some also pace which is supposedly very comfortable.

In my opinion, I would be looking for a horse that is 15-16 hands, sound, no feathers on feet (It can get messy), and an outgoing horse that can deal with the other unhorsey trailgoers.

#52 ·
OTTBs can be great, sane trail horses but they need some serious let down time after the track to regain their sanity.

If OTTBs didn't make good outdoor (as in outside the arena horses), they wouldn't be popular fox hunters.
All the trail ridden ottb's i've known had lots of down time. And the three i mention would have been great on rolling or relitively flat terrain, even over a few jumps. It was just when the terrain gets really tough they checked out. I don't know if their minds just were not rigged to slow down and contemplate when things get difficult or not.

#54 ·
Let me continue, we have two quarter horses and a SSH/Tennessee Walker.

For me, it's all about the comfort of the ride. The quarter horses, at any speed other than a slow walk, are like a pickup truck. You feel the bumps.

The SSH, well, she has the Cadillac ride, big engine with all gears and smooth at any speed.

The Cadillac ride allows me to ride longer, because I stay more comfortable. At the end of the ride, my tired old bones are still tired, but not near like the pain caused by the uneven gait the quarter horses have.

Now, if your running barrels, jumping, cutting cows, etc, then the quarter horses shine.

For pure pleasure and trail riding, I'm of the opinion it's hard to beat a Walker.

#55 ·
Every fall I run into a family of ranchers that bring the big stout roping type quarter horses up hunting. There is NO way my MFT can keep up with all muscle powering up a steep mountain side.

My MFT are more comfortable, probably won't over heat as fast, probably have better all day endurance, But they don't go straight up a mountain like those bull dog built quarter horses.

Each breed has it's plus/minus. Doesn't mean they are wrong or right for trail riding, I enjoy a comfortable ride but have to give my horse a couple extra blows climbing a mountain vs the wide bodied heavy muscled breeds that just power up the mountain.

Your trail horse shoud be comfortable on the type of trails you ride.
TWH may be great gaiting down a country lane in relatively flat eastern part of the US, But climbing steep mountains at 10,000 elevation stumblin over rocks is a whole nother type of trail.

Lean forward, grab ahold of the man and scamble up a mountainside

#57 ·
Well Painted Horse, I don't think you understand the geography of Tennessee.

The flat part is in west Tennessee. We have mountains here in East Tennessee, not 10,000 feet, but still the highest point east of the Mississippi is on the Tennessee/NC border.

I'm not sure I could breath at 10,000 feet, never mind the horse.

#58 ·
Gun, I do know you have some hills back that way.:D I remember going up and down as I drove across the Hatfield and McCoy part of West Virgina. Just had to do a little tongue in cheek comment to see who took the bait.

The horses do just fine if you give them blow. Its the people that struggle. I usually have some visitor get altitude sickness every summer. If they would drink water and stay hydrated instead of caffinated soft drinks, They probably would have made it over the passes with out getting sick.

Nothing like being above timber line

#59 ·
Our "hills" may not be as tall as yours, but they're steep!:)

The TWH is know to be surefooted.

I'd love to ride in the four corners area. Louis L'amours Haunted Mesa is a favorite of mine. Ever get up that way?

#60 ·
I've ridden NATRC CTR rides in Farmington NM, Durango & Purgatory CO, up on the Grand Mesa in CO, the Trail of Tears and Rabbit Valley along the Colorado River. So a few places in SW Colorado.

Had a good friend in Monticello Utah that I went down and spent a week with several times and rode the area of SE Corner of UT. I also bought a horse from a fellow in Blanding and we rode several of his horses out into Comb wash as we tried those horses out. So yeah, I think I can say that I've ridden a little in the 4 corners area.

It's 6-7 hour drive for me, So I don't go there often, I drive past so much wonderful country in 6-7 hours, There is not a big reason to drive that far.

As you explore some of this country you find the old cabins where some hearty sole tried to survive

We always joke about being born 100 years ago so we could have used horses more. But then I look at those cabins and say No!

#61 ·
I have a RMH/Gaited Morgan cross that is awesome on the trails. I am the only "gaiter" in my riding group, everyone else has QH's. Jack will definitely walk along with my riding buddies and lolly gag if I ask him, but he will also really move out. As mentioned before, not all gaited horses have that big motor and high step. My boy LOVES rough trails, he actually gets excited when we get on the little single track trails that require work. He is only 6 and pretty sane on the trails. Personally, I don't think gaited is better or non-gaited is better, just different. I do think, however, that I can ride all day long and be a lot less sore than my riding buddies,lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.