The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   What type of immunizations do you give your horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/what-type-immunizations-do-you-give-115640/)

tbrantley 03-07-2012 09:35 PM

What type of immunizations do you give your horse?

It is that time of year that I start getting my horse Coggins drawn and immunizations done. I was just wondering what type of immunizations that others give their horses. I usually give mine West Nile Combo. So, what type of immunizations do you give your horse? Do you give it yourself or do you have a vet give it? :D

spirit88 03-07-2012 10:00 PM

I give my horses a 5 way and i have the vet give the rabies i do the 5 way myself. Havent done westnile for the last two years my mare had a bad reaction to it so iam now leary of giving it. The year she had the reaction vet had given the shot thank goodness he was here he was able to reverse the reaction. He rcomended i not give it to her again next time it could kill her. So none of my horses get westnile now.

tbrantley 03-07-2012 10:05 PM

What type of reaction did your mare have? Was it when she was given the first shot or one of the boosters? I have been given my horses West Nile for several years now because it has been bad in this area. Now, I am a little concern.

spirit88 03-07-2012 10:35 PM

she had been given westnile for several years with no problem she went into anaphylactic shock. Iv come close to losing her to this before on diffrent shots that were given. Its a thing with her she tends to be alergic to stuff.

Jumper12 03-07-2012 10:44 PM

i do rabies, west nile, e/w/v encephalitis, flu/rhino, tetanus, strangles, but my horse travels, if she didnt i prob wouldnt do flu/rhino or strangles :)

AQHA13 03-07-2012 11:10 PM

I give a 5-way and west nile to our horses. Never had any reactions, I called my vet to ask about rabies but he recommended against it. I give the other two myself.

p.s. any news on the saddle? :D

Cowgirl140ty 03-07-2012 11:17 PM

Mine get a 5 way, west nile and rabies. I give them all myself. None of mine have ever had a bad reaction.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cat 03-07-2012 11:20 PM

Mine get the WNV-EWT (West Niles, Tetnus, EEE, WEE) and Rabies. I have my vet give them all - keeps a good relationship going.

Jumper12 03-07-2012 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AQHA13 (Post 1397144)
I give a 5-way and west nile to our horses. Never had any reactions, I called my vet to ask about rabies but he recommended against it. I give the other two myself.

p.s. any news on the saddle? :D

why did he recommend you not give rabies?? jw

AQHA13 03-07-2012 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jumper12 (Post 1397174)
why did he recommend you not give rabies?? jw

He just said that in our area it wasn't that big of a risk. I'm going into have her teeth floated soon, he said he'd discuss it more then.