The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Eventing Stallions (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/eventing-stallions-115680/)

ZooMare 03-08-2012 10:00 AM

Eventing Stallions

We are considering breeding our mare in the next year or so. She isn't perfect, and the foal would be for us to keep (no chance of us selling it until it is backed with a fair amount of training, and only then if it seems best suited for dressage or hunters and would have a chance at selling). The mare is a rescue, probably full TB. Her biggest fault is a long back which looks worse than it is since she is still rebuilding top line after years of being severely underweight. She is very sensitive but a total love to handle, unfortunately her riding career is going to be very limited thanks to some severe soft tissue damage and abuse that lead to her being a nervous wreck under saddle (from what we can tell she was in some sort of wreck while under saddle and then not properly rehabbed).

Despite the soft tissue damage she has straight legs, flexed sound initially, and has flashy movement. She is holding muscle really well and her neck is filling out beautifully, along with her haunch despite her old injuries making it difficult for her to engage her back properly. Her feet are fantastic, although the angles are a little off thanks to no regular farrier work.

Before you ask, yes I do want an exact replica of her minus physical and mental damage that was no fault of her own. She has the perfect cross country gallop and a good uphill build that let her engage even with so little muscle.

Basically we are looking for a smaller stallion, below 16.2hh, with good bone and nice and compact, and a good brain. Preferably one that is a good sire of eventers or jumpers. Given her history and condition I know it will be harder to find an stallion owner willing to let her be bred so that is also a factor. large ponies are also an option.

This is the best confo shot of her I have, and it was taken within a week of us rescing her last fall so she has filled out a lot, her neck is much more shapely now and her hind end is looking better than ever. Her back is gaining muscle as well and doesn't look so awful.
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...bb/file-12.jpg

I am not looking to be told not to breed, I am just looking for stud suggestions. Thanks :)

gigem88 03-08-2012 10:39 AM

No help here as I don't event :( But good luck on finding a stallion! I'd be interested to see photos of any that you find, though.

SunnyDraco 03-08-2012 02:47 PM

Do searches on:
Horses for Sale | Horse Classifieds, Pictures, Horse Trailers - Equine.com
Equine Now Horses for Sale
Horses for Sale | HorseClicks
DreamHorse.com - Horses for Sale - Dream Horse Classifieds

When you find/see stallions that you like, list them here to get opinions on the stallions and how well they would cross with your mare.

You know best what your budget is, and if you would be breeding AI or live cover.
Posted via Mobile Device

mudpie 03-08-2012 02:53 PM

Bridon Beale Street (or Liam) is a PHENOMENAL Irish Draught Stallion. He produces awesome offspring and is just the sweetest guy! I am proud to say that I am his number one fan! ;)

He produces really nice babies, with super dispositions!

I don't think Connie is too terribly picky about who he breeds to, either. Awesome guy!

Stallions

SunnyDraco 03-08-2012 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudpie (Post 1398085)
Bridon Beale Street (or Liam) is a PHENOMENAL Irish Draught Stallion. He produces awesome offspring and is just the sweetest guy! I am proud to say that I am his number one fan! ;)

He produces really nice babies, with super dispositions!

I don't think Connie is too terribly picky about who he breeds to, either. Awesome guy!

Stallions

Beautiful boy! I think he may be just what the OP might have in mind (other than he is slightly taller than what she wanted -only by an inch or two... LOL). Are his foals with grade mares also registered?

mudpie 03-08-2012 04:36 PM

I don't know if a horse can be a registered as an Irish draught unless it's purebred... I'll have to look into that! :D

Liam produces phenomenal foals with tons of potential and amazing dispositions. I love Liam! :)

http://www.lonetreefarm.net/Liam%20dressage.jpg

SunnyDraco 03-08-2012 04:41 PM

From the page "and will cross with thoroughbred, warmblood and grade mares beautifully to make Irish Sport Horses"

Is there an Irish Sport Horse registry? That might allow the foal to be registered even though the mother is not?

MacabreMikolaj 03-08-2012 04:42 PM

Crossing an ID on a TB results in an Irish Sport Horse and I'm pretty sure it has it's own registry?

mudpie 03-08-2012 04:44 PM

Could be! I'm not 100% sure either way!

ZooMare 03-08-2012 05:07 PM

Thanks guys, I (stupidly) hadn't even thought of going for an Irish sport horse and I have a feeling that Zoe might make quite a nice one. Unfortunately mom (who shares Zoe with me since I don't have time to get on her every day) says she would rather just do either a live cover or AI at the farm so as not to deal with transporting semen and all that. So the stud would have to be in the north east (we are in south eastern NH)

And here is Zoe today, standing a little awkwardly but you can see how she is filling out (and some of the lovely damage to her legs)
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...b/1442f7ab.jpg