The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Hay alternatives? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/hay-alternatives-115696/)

Elizabeth Bowers 03-08-2012 12:34 PM

Hay alternatives?
 
Our yearling colt whom got over a bout of strangles has some issues eating straight dry hay. Some days he'll have a very bad cough, because of the dry, dustiness of the hay. Since the herd is given mostly round bales, i can't soak it before i give it to them. Does anyone know of any hay alternatives i could feed him?
Thank you.

TimberRidgeRanch 03-08-2012 04:24 PM

Hi I have had few horses with bad heaves and issues where baled hay wasnt an alternative for them. They do make hay pellets and even timothy/alfalfa cubes that can be fed. In order to do this at feeding time he needs to be seperated to be able to eat without bolting it down or having to fight the others. Tractor supply carries the pellet products. STANDLEE I also believe that blue seal as well as Purina puts out a strictly hay pellet with no alfalfa mixed in. Good luck! Love your horses and be safe! TRR

Joe4d 03-08-2012 04:39 PM

could always try buying some decent hay.

Elizabeth Bowers 03-08-2012 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimberRidgeRanch (Post 1398230)
Hi I have had few horses with bad heaves and issues where baled hay wasnt an alternative for them. They do make hay pellets and even timothy/alfalfa cubes that can be fed. In order to do this at feeding time he needs to be seperated to be able to eat without bolting it down or having to fight the others. Tractor supply carries the pellet products. STANDLEE I also believe that blue seal as well as Purina puts out a strictly hay pellet with no alfalfa mixed in. Good luck! Love your horses and be safe! TRR

Ok i'll have to try that. Thank you, i'll definitely be stopping in at Tractor Supply to see what they have. He will be separated, he'll be getting gelded soon.

Elizabeth Bowers 03-08-2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe4d (Post 1398257)
could always try buying some decent hay.

We make our own, and sometimes it doesn't turn out the way we plan it to. And we don't have the funds right now to go and buy hay. Thanks

Joe4d 03-08-2012 06:44 PM

but you have the funds to buy bags of cubes ?

spirit88 03-08-2012 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe4d (Post 1398415)
but you have the funds to buy bags of cubes ?

Yeah that doesnt make any sense at all have money for cubes but not hay. By the way cubes arent cheap either at least were i live 13$ for 50lbs. Think id rather buy some more hay.

Elizabeth Bowers 03-09-2012 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spirit88 (Post 1398435)
Yeah that doesnt make any sense at all have money for cubes but not hay. By the way cubes arent cheap either at least were i live 13$ for 50lbs. Think id rather buy some more hay.

No one in our area has any available either, and we don't have a truck to haul it. Since so many people and our friends ran out these past few months, and had to go buy where there was available. So i think i'll take whats a little more expensive, and what we can haul with our car.

DancingArabian 03-09-2012 01:05 PM

Check out Tri-County Feeds, Etc. Tri County Feeds | Marshall, Virginia, clothing, feed, horse supplies, Ariat, Patagonia, gifts They have cubes and pellets and all sorts of feed. I don't know if they have hay, but they do have different kinds of forage.

I don't know if they'll deliver to you - you're about 3 hours from them roughly, but I know they deliver up to an hour and a half away from their shop.

Good luck!

spirit88 03-09-2012 01:35 PM

Ok i see there is no hay to be found cant buy something if there isnt any left. Guess cubes are the way to go then. Oh i priced cubes yesterday there up to 14.50 a bag so there not cheap to buy.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0